Overrated sitcoms? Page 3

Quote: zooo @ May 24 2013, 10:25 AM BST

The relationship between Andy Millman and Maggie in Extras is so excellently written. I don't think most people generally remember that about Extras. They just remember all the celebrity cameos, etc.

The same goes for the relationship between Tim and Dawn in The Office. I think there are not many sitcoms or series in general who had such a cute, touching, realistic love story. Hug This really shows what Gervais/Merchant are capable of.

Definitely.
They must have based them on their own relationship. ;)

Quote: zooo @ May 24 2013, 12:15 PM BST

Definitely.
They must have based them on their own relationship. ;)

Urgh!

It'll be a good question to ask them if they did.

If you don't like a show it's always overrated.

All this Extras talk has reminded me that it's a bit overrated. Don't get me wrong it's a funny sitcom but it's all over the shop. The first series is pretty tightly written and believable, but after that it becomes a bit silly and unbelievable. Why should we care if Andy Milman's script is made broader? There's no evidence that he's even a particularly good writer and his work's being ruined, just him griping.

Plus at times the Scottish woman becomes a bit of a paint-by-numbers thicko who puts her foot in it with weary predictability.

Still a funny show, but probably rated better than it is because at the time Gervais was still riding the post-Office high.

Quote: chipolata @ May 24 2013, 2:20 PM BST

Gervais was still riding the post-Office high.

I wonder if he considered setting it in a Post Office just for the pun?

Quote: Nogget @ May 24 2013, 3:55 PM BST

I wonder if he considered setting it in a Post Office just for the pun?

No.

I still say The Inbetweeners is one of the worst things I've ever seen on a television and literally could not believe it when it caught on. No accounting for taste.

On The Buses

Rising Damp

I wouldn't say that either On The Buses or Rising Damp are overrated with neither having much more than a cult following.

I didn't even know that anyone liked On the Buses before I joined this forum.

I laughed at On the Buses but I also hate it 'cos it reminds me of Sunday bath time, spam sandwiches, jelly and ice cream and early to bed for bloomin' school!

Ooh, the Poirot theme tune reminds me of Sunday nights.

(Massively off topic.)

Quote: zooo @ May 30 2013, 11:08 PM BST

Ooh, the Poirot theme tune reminds me of Sunday nights.

(Massively off topic.)

Yeah, but you have to admit the show was rather short on laughs.

His moustache was quite the wit.