Plebs - Series 1

Joel Fry, Tom Rosenthal, Ryan Sampson.

Plebs is described as "a thoroughly modern comedy in an ancient setting."

Rome is traditionally imagined as the home of emperors and senators, generals and gladiators, a dignified theatre of pomp and ceremony. But what about the little guys, the wasters - new to the big city, stuck in office jobs, unable to get the girls?

Plebs follows three desperate young men from the suburbs as they try to get laid, hold down jobs and climb the social ladder in the big city - a city that happens to be Ancient Rome.

The show focuses on Marcus, Stylax and their lazy slave with an attitude problem, Grumio. There's also the boys' ruthless boss, Flavia - an expert manipulator with a private life that's the stuff of legend.

Unlikely to be immortalised in the annals or memorialised in a frieze, Marcus, Stylax and Grumio are essentially just a bunch of Plebs.

And whether they're wearing togas, or skinny jeans, desperate young men in any period of history are essentially cut from the same cloth...

Bit shit wasn't it?

Thoughts?

I enjoyed it.

It's no Chelmsford 123.

I rather enjoyed it too. Ryan Sampson's reactions (or perhaps, lack thereof) got the biggest laughs from me I think.

I also quite enjoyed it, initially I wasn't sure but at the end of the first episode, I actually liked it! :}

Quote: Nil Putters @ March 26 2013, 12:41 AM GMT

It's no Chelmsford 123.

It's no 321 live from Chelmsford...

Why do they still have those stupid Twitterers on? Makes a bad programme even worse.

Nothing for me. Clumsy nerds try to pull birds out of their league in ancient Rome. Also the slightly sepia toned picture was a turn off for me. I like my colours to be bright...especially in comedy.

I think the writer of this has been watching too much Horrible Histories on CBBC. It's a bit shit really.

The cast deliver their lines like the posh, smarmy students who talk too loudly in coffee shops and it all seems too smart alecky. The boy with the hand under the blanket at the end of episode 2 was a bit beyond my taste boundaries too. Mind you, Doon Mackichan looks good in those costumes.

Is it just me being influenced by the historical setting or is Ryan Sampson's slave character a Baldrick wannabe?

Quote: Nil Putters @ March 26 2013, 12:41 AM GMT

It's no Chelmsford 123.

My thoughts exactly. Laughing out loud

To be honest, considering that I was watching a show on ITV2 sponsored by tequila flavoured beer (whuh?), it was better than I would have expected. Well constructed, some decent laughs, and good (though admittedly stagey) performances. Probably shan't watch again, but it wasn't an unenjoyable 60 minutes.

Bit too much gratuitous sex and swearing for me. I don't mean I was offended or upset or anything, I just mean that making a reference to using a decpitated hand as a mastubatory aid is quite funny, showing somebody shove it down the bed and have a rummage is crass and pointless. I guess this is the post-Inbetweeners landscape, and any sitcom aimed at younger audiences will have constant of 25% wank jokes until the next emulatable hit comes along.

Still, not a bad effort, all round.

It Was Very Good.

Quote: Pip Bond @ March 26 2013, 1:18 PM GMT

Is it just me being influenced by the historical setting or is Ryan Sampson's slave character a Baldrick wannabe?

Didn't strike me as that at all. There was no implication of him being particularly dim - indeed, hints that he's smarter than his masters - but was simply incredibly lazy.

Not a patch on Up Pompeii!, which it attempts to modernise badly, on a par with Chelmsford 123 I'd say.

Is it worth a look then?

Yeah.