Mind Your Language

Despite getting my grubby little hands on a number of episodes recently, I've never actually seen this. Nevertheless, it's joining such programmes as On The Buses, Please Sir!, and Carry On Laughing in appearing as part of Men & Motors' surprisingly good comedy lineup, later this month (weekly double-bill).

SITCOM: Mind Your Language
On: Men & Motors
Date: Wednesday 22nd August 2007
Time: 22:00 to 22:30

An anytime alert is set for 15 minutes before the programme starts
Seventies sitcom about a disparate group of foreigners trying to improve their English.
(New Episode, Subtitles)

I think its very funny. I used to watch it on ukgold or one of those channels.

can't believe they're repeating this!..it's full of sterotyped & cliched comedy foreigners.................it was funny then,but will be seen as very "non pc" these days..............there'll be letters! (or emails)

Quote: CHUNDA @ August 7, 2007, 11:08 AM

can't believe they're repeating this!..it's full of sterotyped & cliched comedy foreigners.................it was funny then,but will be seen as very "non pc" these days..............there'll be letters! (or emails)

I understand what you are saying, but the English charactors in it were stereotyped as well, Well Meaning new teacher, hard as nails woman principle and cockney rhyming slang old cockney caretaker. Also the joke would often end up on the English charactors. Watching the show recently on youtube (there are loads of episodes of it on youtube) I think it is a very predictable but very funny show that is definetly not racist.

Quote: CHUNDA @ August 7, 2007, 11:08 AM

Somehow I don't think that the average Bravo viewer is one who will a) be bothered by that kind of thing, b) know that it's possible to complain, nevermind c) actually do so.

Quote: Aaron @ August 7, 2007, 12:25 PM

Somehow I don't think that the average Bravo viewer is one who will a) be bothered by that kind of thing, b) know that it's possible to complain, nevermind c) actually do so.

Why would a Bravo viewer complain about a show on Men & Motors ;)

See? They're identical.

You know what I mean.

(In any case, the statement is even truer of M&M viewers than of Bravo, I feel.)

It's shown on Bravo I didn't know that I only watch Bravo for UFC.

It's not. Read back. Men & Motors. :)

PC is lame.

MYL not only had stereotypes but they had them interacting as well. It was multi-layered quadratpyes. It wasn't done from a mean-spirited angle.

Plus it had Barry Evans in it, who's the face of innocence.

Show's like this and 'Love Thy Neighbour' were done with a positive message (at least from memory, anyway). Just because one's race is dipicted in a comedy doesn't mean people hate you.

I'm half Dutch and Half Indian and was never even slightly offended by this show or 'It Aint Half Hot Mom' (although the latter pushes the boundaries a little for some, I imagine)

Every character is a stereotype though. They're creations of numerous aspects of different people that the writer may know, know of, or imagine.

Quote: Aaron @ August 7, 2007, 12:25 AM

Despite getting my grubby little hands on a number of episodes recently, I've never actually seen this. Nevertheless, it's joining such programmes as On The Buses, Please Sir!, and Carry On Laughing in appearing as part of Men & Motors' surprisingly good comedy lineup, later this month (weekly double-bill).

SITCOM: Mind Your Language
On: Men & Motors
Date: Wednesday 22nd August 2007
Time: 22:00 to 22:30

Seventies sitcom about a disparate group of foreigners trying to improve their English.

Anyone else remember the show? Seen the DVDs? International broadcasts?

It’s Gone, not sure if this is just a Digi Guide mistake but there is now no mentions of Mind You Language…..odd

So it has. How odd. M&M must have changed their schedule. Maybe it's due 22nd of September...?

Quote: Sir Geoffrey Loftus @ August 8, 2007, 6:45 AM

PC is lame.

I'm half Dutch and Half Indian and was never even slightly offended by this show or 'It Aint Half Hot Mom' (although the latter pushes the boundaries a little for some, I imagine)

It Aint Half Hot Mum was one of the first sitcoms which had parts for Asian actors such as: Dino Shafeek (also plays Ali Nadeem in Mind Your Language), Babar Bhatti and Renu Setna, so I think the show was a step forward for the better in sitcom.

As JOhn Cleese was saying in the interview of the Faulty Towers DVD, ITs absurd that the whole world is expected to bend over backwards and tred on eggshells to avoid upsetting a small minority of people who are offended by practically everything.

Stereotypes are fine as long as they're not mean spirited.