Way To Go

New sitcom on BBC Three that started last Thursday.

It was ok but I wouldn't say it was that strong a first episode.

Any thoughts?

Quote: dennispennis123 @ January 24 2013, 12:16 AM GMT

It was ok but I wouldn't say it was that strong a first episode.

I thought it set itself up fairly well. Probably could have been a little clearer and stronger in places, but it wasn't dreadful and there were a few laughs here and there. Seem to recall a couple of rather good ones at that.

What Aaron said. ;)

I thought tonight's episode was a great improvement on last week's.

Whereas I enjoyed it less. And whilst I the euthanasia/suicide aspect doesn't bother me in the slightest, I do find the finger breaking to be really quite unpleasant.

I was looking forward to this. I've always been a Marc Wootton fan since his Cyderdelic days. It's slowy getting better. I think it works that way, a slow build up to funny sitcom rather than burning itself out too fast.

I think this is one of the best shows out there right now. I loved the first episode just as much as the second. there is some really funny laughs but it also has a decent story plot to follow. I think the whole based around suicide thing is just them trying to be edgy but in today's comical society no one gives a s**t and hardly anyone seems to get offended any-more. But it works and it gives me something to look forward to on a Thursday night when I get home:D

One thing I've found interesting is that this is a sitcom that (other than ep one, obviously!) has a "previous on..." at the start, in the credits. I can't think of other sitcoms that have done this (UK or otherwise), but it seems to make sense for something "high concept" like this, where it needs a bit of explanation. What does everyone else think of that? Or are there loads that do this and I'm just not aware of them?

It's nothing special as yet, but I kind of like it. I think given time, and getting over the writers / production team's own excitement at putting on a sitcom about a risky subject, it could get better.

Off the top of my head, Two Pints used to do the same. I'm sure there are many others if I thought about it.

Oh, OK. I think I only managed to bear 1 ep of 2 Pints, so hadn't realised.

If you think of more, I'd be interested, as the show I'm working on is high concept, and I did wonder about ways to "explain it" to the new viewer each week. I've been trying to think of visual ways to do it across the credit sequence, but that can be very clanky.

I think that kind of decision is probably in the hands of a producer/director. I think Psychoville may have included a recap too? Try starting a new thread asking for examples, others may have clearer memories than I. :)

One of those inoffensive shows that has snappy, decent writing, but I can't imagine anyone genuinely laughing out loud at it. It will get three series and quietly disappear.

Sweet Jaysus, somebody please tell me who sings the theme song, I friggin love it! Hi, by the way

Quote: Millsy @ February 13 2013, 12:36 PM GMT

One of those inoffensive shows that has snappy, decent writing, but I can't imagine anyone genuinely laughing out loud at it. It will get three series and quietly disappear.

Totally agree with this. I know it's well written and there are some good gags in it but for some reason I just don't find myself laughing.