Local Hero

Watched the Bill Forsyth film Local Hero about a week ago, I think it might be my favourite comedy film. Just wondered what you all think of this little gem?

I watched this on Film 4 again recently, it's a wonderful film. If you liked this check out Gregory's Girl, Housekeeping and especially That Sinking Feeling, all directed by Bill Forsyth. He is a brilliant director and screen writer.

One of my favourites as well. I like how understated and gentle it is. The scene where MacIntyre attempts to fork the lemon, and both times it squirts in his eye always has me in stitches.

Quote: Pingl @ October 22 2012, 2:43 PM BST

I watched this on Film 4 again recently, it's a wonderful film. If you liked this check out Gregory's Girl, Housekeeping and especially That Sinking Feeling, all directed by Bill Forsyth. He is a brilliant director and screen writer.

I've seen Gregory's Girl. That's a great film too. Apparently dubbed in the U.S with softer accents! I think 'That Sinking Feeling' will be next on my list to watch.

Quote: Marooned @ October 22 2012, 5:26 PM BST

One of my favourites as well. I like how understated and gentle it is. The scene where MacIntyre attempts to fork the lemon, and both times it squirts in his eye always has me in stitches.

I like that scene too. It's slightly ridiculous, but underplayed, which makes it work. I think the moment when Mac asks the locals whose baby it is was pretty good. If it was a real place, I'd be moving there as soon as possible.

Having recently become a massive 'The Thick of it' fan (late to the party!), I kept expecting Peter Capaldi to start insulting everyone. But he didn't, which was nice.

I've been wanting to watch 'That Sinking Feeling' as well, but apparently the only version available now is a really poor American dubbed one that makes it unwatchable.

Also, the fact that 'Local Hero' was Peter Capaldi's first big acting role makes his performance in it even more impressive! :)

Quote: Marooned @ October 23 2012, 2:44 PM BST

I've been wanting to watch 'That Sinking Feeling' as well, but apparently the only version available now is a really poor American dubbed one that makes it unwatchable.

Also, the fact that 'Local Hero' was Peter Capaldi's first big acting role makes his performance in it even more impressive! :)

You're in luck the BFI have just restored the original sountrack to that sinking feeling, and will hopefully be releasing it at some point. I saw the original on BBC2 many years ago and it is a true classic, unlike the dubbed version which is an abortion. If I hear anymore I'll post here

Quote: Pingl @ October 23 2012, 4:12 PM BST

You're in luck the BFI have just restored the original sountrack to that sinking feeling, and will hopefully be releasing it at some point. I saw the original on BBC2 many years ago and it is a true classic, unlike the dubbed version which is an abortion. If I hear anymore I'll post here

I shall look forward to that, then. :)

Well I shall hold off watching it until the proper version is available then. It's frustrating. Not only will americans (not all of them obviously) not watch anything in a foriegn language, they can't even cope with films that are in english, but with non american accents.

When I bought Mad Max on DVD years ago, it had four language options: English, French, German and Austrailian. When I checked, I realized that the 'English' soundtrack was the same dialogue but dubbed with american accents. Perhaps in 1979 the distributers thought americans wouldn't understand the concept of Austrailia.

Or cockneys. Bob Hoskins was dubbed for the american TV edit of The Long Good Friday. They also removed all mentions of the I.R.A. (which the entire plot revolves around). I'd quite like to see this version out of sheer curiousity.

I think they dubbed some of Gregory's Girl as well.

I watched Local Hero a few months back and was suitably charmed by it. The local's greed is wonderfully played for laughs and the whole film has a slightly surreal edge.

BFI Southbank are hosting a screening of it this Sunday (Burns Night) - http://bit.ly/1yTY7ZY

Denis Lawson, Jenny Seagrove, and producer Iain Smith will apparently all be in attendance. :D

Quote: Pingl @ 23rd October 2012, 4:12 PM BST

Some years on, it is indeed available:

See Amazon product listing

Quote: Marooned @ 22nd January 2015, 10:12 PM GMT

BFI Southbank are hosting a screening of it this Sunday (Burns Night) - http://bit.ly/1yTY7ZY

Denis Lawson, Jenny Seagrove, and producer Iain Smith will apparently all be in attendance. :D

Seriously, thanks for this link. I had no idea this was happening. Local Hero is my favourite film and to see Denis Lawsom and Jenny Seagrove as well should be amazing. Thanks!

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 24th January 2015, 7:56 PM GMT

Seriously, thanks for this link. I had no idea this was happening. Local Hero is my favourite film and to see Denis Lawsom and Jenny Seagrove as well should be amazing. Thanks!

You're welcome. Did you manage to secure tickets?

I'm so excited about seeing it on the big screen! :)

Quote: Marooned @ 25th January 2015, 2:31 PM GMT

You're welcome. Did you manage to secure tickets?

I'm so excited about seeing it on the big screen! :)

I did and what a great night it's been. Never seen it on the big sceen before but it enhanced the experience so much, especially hearing Mark Knopfler's wonderful score blasting out of the speakers. And then the icing on the cake of having Denis Lawson and Jenny Seagrove share anecdotes was fantastic, wish I could have stayed to say hello to them.

Just to mention, anyone who's a fan of Local Hero, if you haven't visited Pennan, where the bulk of it was filmed, I do recommend it. It hasn't changed at all, it was a magical moment coming down a tiny road and then seeing the phone box (there is an actual red phone box just a few metres from where the fake one was in the film).

Then I got over to Arisaig and saw the beach where Ben's shack/church exterior scenes were filmed, again it looks exactly the same, even the house/church is still there.