The general pop/rock - music thread Page 72

Quote: Chappers @ 19th September 2014, 10:01 PM BST

Looks like they're back on form. Oh that was released 3 years ago!

I wonder if they'll go on performing and recording in the original line up or if Rossi & Parfitt will team up again with the (slightly) younger guys in future.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 19th September 2014, 10:34 PM BST

I wonder if they'll go on performing and recording in the original line up or if Rossi & Parfitt will team up again with the (slightly) younger guys in future.

I think they've already jettisoned Lancaster and Coughlan.

New album due out soon.

Aquostic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSr7TOEdNAA

If the rest is like that, I love it !

Bought this 4 cd compilation yesterday for a reasonable price. Of course, I already have most of these songs in my collection...I bought this mainly for the songs from Baal and The Buddha of Suburbia and because I'm a (wannabe) Bowie completist. And it has a nice booklet.

Tracklist (taken from rateyourmusic.com):

1.1 Space Oddity (original demo) 5:07
1.2 The Wild-Eyed Boy From Freecloud (rare B-side version) 4:48
1.3 The Prettiest Star (single version) 3:09
1.4 London Bye Ta-Ta (previously unreleased stereo mix) 2:33
1.5 Black Country Rock 3:34
1.6 The Man Who Sold the World 3:54
1.7 The Bewlay Brothers 5:20
1.8 Changes 3:33
1.9 Round and Round (alternate vocal take) 2:39
1.10 Moonage Daydream 4:37
1.11 John, I'm Only Dancing (sax version) 2:55
1.12 Drive-In Saturday 4:27
1.13 Panic in Detroit 4:23
1.14 Ziggy Stardust (live '73) 3:14
1.15 White Light/White Heat (live '73) 3:14
1.16 Rock 'n' Roll Suicide (live '73) 4:29
1.17 Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere 3:06
1.18 Sorrow 2:53
1.19 Don't Bring Me Down 2:05
2.1 1984 / Dodo 5:27
2.2 Big Brother 3:18
2.3 Rebel Rebel (US single version) 2:58
2.4 Suffragette City (live '74) 3:48
2.5 Watch That Man (live '74) 5:05
2.6 Cracked Actor (live '74) 3:28
2.7 Young Americans 5:10
2.8 Fascination 5:43
2.9 After Today (Young Americans outtake) 3:47
2.10 It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City (Station to Station outtake) 3:46
2.11 TVC15 5:29
2.12 Wild Is the Wind 5:56
2.13 Sound and Vision 3:02
2.14 Be My Wife 2:55
2.15 Speed of Life 2:45
2.16 "Helden" ('89 remix) 3:37
2.17 Joe the Lion 3:05
2.18 Sons of the Silent Age 3:17
3.1 Station to Station (live '78) 8:48
3.2 Warszawa (live '78) 6:50
3.3 Breaking Glass (live '78) 3:34
3.4 Red Sails 3:42
3.5 Look Back in Anger 3:05
3.6 Boys Keep Swinging 3:16
3.7 Up the Hill Backwards 3:13
3.8 Kingdom Come 3:42
3.9 Ashes to Ashes 4:22
3.10 Baal's Hymn 4:00
3.11 The Drowned Girl 2:24
3.12 Cat People (Putting Out Fire) (soundtrack album version) 6:41
3.13 China Girl 5:32
3.14 Ricochet 5:14
3.15 Modern Love (live) 3:43
3.16 Loving the Alien 7:10
3.17 Dancing With the Big Boys 3:34
4.1 Blue Jean 3:10
4.2 Time Will Crawl 4:18
4.3 Tin Machine - Baby Can Dance 4:57
4.4 Tin Machine - Amazing 3:04
4.5 Tin Machine - I Can't Read 4:54
4.6 Tin Machine - Shopping for Girls 3:44
4.7 Tin Machine - Goodbye Mr. Ed 3:24
4.8 Tin Machine - Amlapura 3:46
4.9 You've Been Around 4:45
4.10 Nite Flights (Moodswings Back to Basics remix radio edit) 4:35
4.11 Pallas Athena (Gone Midnight mix) 4:21
4.12 Jump They Say 4:22
4.13 Buddha of Suburbia 4:28
4.14 Dead Against It 5:48
4.15 South Horizon 5:26
4.16 Pallas Athena (live) 8:18

Lyrics.
Usually crap?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 20th September 2014, 10:02 AM BST

Bought this 4 cd compilation yesterday for a reasonable price. Of course, I already have most of these songs in my collection...I bought this mainly for the songs from Baal and The Buddha of Suburbia and because I'm a (wannabe) Bowie completist. And it has a nice booklet.

I've got that but it has a different box cover to that.

Quote: Chappers @ 21st September 2014, 10:51 PM BST

I've got that but it has a different box cover to that.

Mine's a budget-priced re-issue of the original box set. Housed in a classic (means: thick) two-cd jewel case.
When I say "original box set", then this could be a bit misleading. The box was first released in the late 80s I think as a teaser for the ryko-disk re-issue capaign of Bowie's back catalogue, it was a 3 CD set back then. They re-mastered the set in 2003, augmented by material reaching as far as the mid 90s (up to the Buddha Of Suburbia soundtrack) on a forth CD. Thats is probably the version you own.

And now they re-issued it again in a less extravagant package. The music business can be very complicated (and greedy) at times.

I've listened to the first two discs yesterday and it has some interesting material previously unknown to me (at least in the version they're presented on this set). Still, it is a bit of a strange compilation, it is very sprawling...some rare material...some underrated album tracks...and lots of hits, but not EVERY big hit. I mean why did they leave out Let's Dance for example? It's not my favourite Bowie song but still an essential one in his oeuvre, commercially of course, but also artistically because it defined his career movements for the rest of the decade. Who was this anthology aimed at originally? The casual listener wants all the hits, the hardcore fan wants more rare material.
Still a nice compilation to enjoy on a rainy day and a good if not perfect career overview.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 22nd September 2014, 10:16 AM BST

Mine's a budget-priced re-issue of the original box set. Housed in a classic (means: thick) two-cd jewel case.
When I say "original box set", then this could be a bit misleading. The box was first released in the late 80s I think as a teaser for the ryko-disk re-issue capaign of Bowie's back catalogue, it was a 3 CD set back then. They re-mastered the set in 2003, augmented by material reaching as far as the mid 90s (up to the Buddha Of Suburbia soundtrack) on a forth CD. Thats is probably the version you own.

And now they re-issued it again in a less extravagant package. The music business can be very complicated (and greedy) at times.

I've listened to the first two discs yesterday and it has some interesting material previously unknown to me (at least in the version they're presented on this set). Still, it is a bit of a strange compilation, it is very sprawling...some rare material...some underrated album tracks...and lots of hits, but not EVERY big hit. I mean why did they leave out Let's Dance for example? It's not my favourite Bowie song but still an essential one in his oeuvre, commercially of course, but also artistically because it defined his career movements for the rest of the decade. Who was this anthology aimed at originally? The casual listener wants all the hits, the hardcore fan wants more rare material.
Still a nice compilation to enjoy on a rainy day and a good if not perfect career overview.

How different is the B side version of "The Wild-Eyed Boy From Freecloud" please? I may be the only person alive who likes the "Space Oddity" album best and that is one of my favourite tracks off it. I realise it isn't anything like his greatest album from a critic's point of view but I make distinctions between those things.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 22nd September 2014, 11:57 AM BST

How different is the B side version of "The Wild-Eyed Boy From Freecloud" please? I may be the only person alive who likes the "Space Oddity" album best and that is one of my favourite tracks off it. I realise it isn't anything like his greatest album from a critic's point of view but I make distinctions between those things.

Basically it's a bit more stripped down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wizktTirdtY

Same goes for the title song, the instrumental part (one of rock's greatest moments IMO*) at the end of the version on the box (the demo) is very different from the album version.

*Like the intro riff to Brown Sugar it gives my ears an aural orgasm.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 22nd September 2014, 12:02 PM BST

Basically it's a bit more stripped down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wizktTirdtY

Same goes for the title song, the instrumental part (one of rock's greatest moments IMO*) at the end of the version on the box is very different from the album version.

*Like the intro riff to Brown Sugar it gives my ear an aural orgasm.

Interesting. I hadn't heard that before. It is one hell of a song. I do much prefer the album version. The orchestration gives it the drama it deserves and it is more difficult to pick out some of the words which I like. It adds to the mystery. Consequently, here, with the clarity I made a conscious point of not taking in what was actually being said. To the extent that I heard the occasional word I had not comprehended on the album version, I've forgotten it already. What it does do is fit more neatly in terms of the arrangement with the "Space Oddity" track itself although that's at the beginning and "Freecloud" is close to the end.

So 'Chuck Berry' I expected someone to start duckwalkin' !

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers.

Quote: Oldrocker @ 22nd September 2014, 1:34 PM BST

So 'Chuck Berry' I expected someone to start duckwalkin' !

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers.

Talking of Chuck, I saw him in 2008. I'm not sure how old he was but he refused to adhere to the curfew. His 65 year old father dressed in a conservative suit dragged him off the stage to avoid a police incident.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 15th September 2014, 10:01 AM BST

Had the ultimate privilege to see ELO in Hyde Park yesterday...Mr Blue Sky..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p026pdqc

Was it good? I think my favourite of theirs was Horace Wimp, did they do that one? I heard some of them on R2 last week and they sounded remarkably similar to the studio versions which surprised me. They didn't just bring a record player and mime to it did they?

Quote: A Horseradish @ 22nd September 2014, 11:57 AM BST

My favourite is the Man who Sold the World.

At the time of the re-issues I got a promotional compilation featuring one track from each album. It only has a black cover with a track-listing but I'm waiting for it to increase in value.

Are you aware Sex and drugs and rock and roll! is on now?