Hunderby

Just watched the first episode of this new Julia Davis show, 'Hunderby'. Really enjoyed it a lot; it's darkly funny, as you'd expect from Davis, but there's a thick seam of silly too. It's a period comedy, sort of spoofing books like 'Rebecca' and 'Jane Eyre' a bit.

It's on one of the Sky channels.

The fact this was on about a week ago, and it's a new show from a pretty big comedy name, yet I only just started a thread today on a site dedicated to British Comedy, sort of shows one of the slight downsides of all this comedy coming out of Sky; not enough people have direct access to it.

I watched this and found it dark and subtly funny. It is acted absolutely straight which is its strength and I will continue to watch.

Davis is great, as usual; loved how she would often linger silently for that bit too long at the end of scenes, and when she threw the bubbly milk in her own face.

I would love to see the outtakes, I bet they found it difficult to keep a straight face at times.

There's also [what feels like] a good story underneath as well. I enjoyed it, but maybe not as many laughs as I was hoping for. But that dance! :D

I've loved this so far. Sky Atlantic have easily been the best broadcasters of new British comedy so far this year.

Quote: Axl R @ September 2 2012, 7:00 PM BST

I've loved this so far. Sky Atlantic have easily been the best broadcasters of new British comedy so far this year.

Seems like it; this, Walking And Talking, new Partridge, VEEP (okay, that's American, but it's Brits making an American show!) It's a strong line up. Pity I don't actually have the channel!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 2 2012, 7:19 PM BST

Seems like it; this, Walking And Talking, new Partridge, VEEP (okay, that's American, but it's Brits making an American show!) It's a strong line up. Pity I don't actually have the channel!

Adam Buxton's BUG was great as well. This is Jinsy wasn't everyone's cup of tea but it was at least original and well produced.

I'll make this observation on Hunderby: how does a mere village pastor afford a house that size? Ridiculous.

Quote: Aaron @ September 3 2012, 12:02 AM BST

I'll make this observation on Hunderby: how does a mere village pastor afford a house that size? Ridiculous.

Ha, I did think that, but maybe his family, or dead wife, had money??

Davis does like her funny/weird sex scenes, doesn't she? :D

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 2 2012, 3:17 PM BST

The fact this was on about a week ago, and it's a new show from a pretty big comedy name, yet I only just started a thread today on a site dedicated to British Comedy, sort of shows one of the slight downsides of all this comedy coming out of Sky; not enough people have direct access to it.

That's not a slight downside, it's a potential catastrophic error of judgment from Sky if they only get a few thousand viewers for it, the channel makes a loss and then folds.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 2 2012, 7:19 PM BST

Ah, now this make a bit more sense. Preumably you are in their target audience, so if they get thousands like you to pay for a package upgrade (not cheap) then that's how they get their money to keep them all going. Sly and devious to us but standard commercial practice, put all their best comedy shows in a new exclusive channel that you have to upgrade to. Starting to make the BBC look more attractive, even if their comedy output is currently misfiring badly.

I'm going to watch this later. Hope it's not as dark and depressing as Nighty Night.

I think this is now too light on laughs, and too high on weird, and on characters for whom there is no sympathetic side, for me.

It's not exactly a laugh a minute, but it's rather bloody good. The period stuff actually feels way more authentic in this than in most period dramas. Which is odd.
Some really hilarious dialogue that's delivered so straight faced you almost miss it. Julia is ace.