Writing Stand-Up

Ive found myself thinking about trying stand-up out but I just wouldnt know where to start with writing a set so was wondering if anyone has any tips.

I know that one way is to do things based on what you've done etc, but what other ways can you gain insperation?

Thanks

Hi Izzet6,

There are a couple of good books that will help with inspiration for material such as Sally Holloways joke writing book and Logan Murrays be a great stand up, both of which have a few techniques for getting material.

You can also start as you say with personal stories, or you can write on a specific subject for example public transport. I would suggest writing your topic from a specific emotion e.g. I love public transport. Then you can jot down your ideas on a page without having to stare at an entirely blank page. Or you could try writing on two different subjects and then bring them both together. So Public transport and cats or something like that.

Anyway, there are so many methods you can use and each person has a different way of doing it but, definitely give either of those books a read for a starting point.

I hope this helps? All the best,

Jason.

Cheers Jason ill keep an eye out for the books!

Loved Logan Murray's book 'Teach Yourself Stand-up Comedy'. It brushes away the fear of stand-up and is crammed with ways of getting your creativity started. Recommended!

My suggestion would be first write some jokes. Short gags, on one subject or many subjects, just to see if you can come up with material. Then look at the books see where you went wrong, or didn't as the case may be. Try not to swear.

Actually this is far too vast a subject and Logan Murray puts it far better BUT my stand-up improved when I learnt to be myself more. At first I was paranoid about not getting laughs so I forced myself to think of one-liners, meaning -a- I blocked my creativity and -b- at best I ended up with a joke book. When I let myself off the hook and started to explore subjects instead of trying to find gags about them I found the whole process easier, more fun and more stimulating.

Hi Izzet,
I wrote an article on this a while ago - it's not a complete overview but it has some handy tips.

http://suite101.com/article/comedy-101-a-guide-on-how-to-write-and-perform-stand-up-comedy-a380834

Cheers,
DBM

Lee mack is writing a book soon on his life and getting into stand up comedy, you should read it! Its due for release on 27th september!

Quote: Izzet6 @ June 24 2012, 6:47 PM BST

what other ways can you gain insperation?

Drugs.

(Copyright Bill Hicks)

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ July 5 2012, 12:48 PM BST

Hi Izzet,
I wrote an article on this a while ago - it's not a complete overview but it has some handy tips.

http://suite101.com/article/comedy-101-a-guide-on-how-to-write-and-perform-stand-up-comedy-a380834

Cheers,
DBM

Nice article and well written.

Sorry this is a bit late but thanks for all the tips guys :)

It is not easy to be a good stand up. Here in Holland for example it is dead for the last 2 years, and standing in front of a 800 people plus is no easy task, believe I know.My advice don't even go there, unless you have good own material, you can handle people schouting at you, people that don't understand your jokes and mostly unpaid work.

In Denmark stand up is a great succes. We had a great stand up generation in the 90's and they are still very succesfull.

The future problem for standup in DK is getting new good comedians. The ones coming out today is really bad comedians, but they stand on the shoulders of the older generation and therefor get a lot of good jobs in the media.

We got a whole TV station just for them. Comedy is very big in Denmark.