A Short History Of Everything Else

Half way through this and though pleasant enough, it's neither ground breaking, original or particularly funny.

Guest wise, it's more jobs for the same old stand up faces doing the same old predictable schtick. Another unimaginative exercise in pointless and forgettable panel show fare. Zzzzz.

Much like Would I Lie To You? it feels like a panel show for the sake of a panel show. But nevertheless reasonably amusing if not hilarious.

The various news clips give it a nostalgic value, but all I kept thinking was how Charlie Brooker has already claimed this format as his own.

Not terrible by any means, just not unique or memorable in any way.

I don't really see much of a link to Brooker personally, as they were using the clips to illustrate and trigger discussion of past events rather than just talking about the clips themselves - unless he's done another show I've forgotten about?

But yeah, agreed. Nothing objectively wrong with the show, and I actually rather enjoyed Griff as host, but the format failed to shine.

Quote: Aaron @ June 13 2012, 10:44 PM BST

I don't really see much of a link to Brooker personally, as they were using the clips to illustrate and trigger discussion of past events rather than just talking about the clips themselves

You can show an old clip and have one person talking about it or several people talking about it. It's still an old bit of news footage with knowingly post modern ironic banter chucked on at the end. That is how I established the link betwixt the two anyhoo.

Ah, yeah, fair enough then! :)

All I could think as I watched this was the fictitious panel show in Rob Brydon's Annually Retentive. Of course now he's in WWILTY?. Then they'll have to be a panel show where a fake panel show talks about panel sh-*EXPLODES*

I was at the recording of next week's programme, well most of it, I left before the end in order to catch the last bus home, as did most of the rest of the audience; but they had already recorded our laughter, so that was okay.

The format was flimsy and completely shapeless, and it went on and on. I do not think it was heavily scripted, at least the script got lost amidst all the other witless drivel.

Griff to be fair was the consummate professional, at least in his presenting style, as chair the show rather got away from him. Marcus was working hard, but the whole lack of energy around the recording meant that he was attempting to bake bricks without clay. Charlie just seemed out of his depth and off the pace, such as it was. Susan appeared bemused by the whole thing, while Julian so did not want to be there.

I will be fascinated to see if they succeed in editing this shambles into a tight half hour.

Ah, well that could explain why - admittedly between studio and VT - episode 1 had three editors AND three edit produceers.

Watching this was kind of like therapy, like a former hostage confronting his abductor. I think it helped.

Hitting the editing room floor were Marcus' twenty minute rant about what a c**t Boris is, and the moment where Julian admitted that not only did he know who the mystery guest was but that he had frequently worked with him - and all the other guests sheepishly admitted that so had they.

Only saw the first(?) of these, the one with Kirsty Wark. It was dire, but not because of the talent involved or the overall concept of having a show based on old clips (many of which have been seen before). It's just that the format was very flat. The opening round involved clips followed by a quiz where people could give single word answers to the questions - hardly the way to get an audience buzzing. Annually Retentive (as mentioned by Tempus Fugit) was much better, if fictional. This could be moderate fun if they sort out the format.

Quote: Badge @ June 20 2012, 11:47 PM BST

The opening round involved clips followed by a quiz where people could give single word answers to the questions - hardly the way to get an audience buzzing.

The curious thing is I have absolutely no memory of the opening round; either I have blanked it out or they recorded it at the end after most of the audience had escaped.