Sending Sitcom to BBC Writersroom Page 3

Quote: Mr Writer Like In The Song @ May 16 2012, 5:32 PM BST

Each episode of a sitcom should have the potential to be the first one the viewer watches. You don't want someone turning on at ep 4 and going "I don't understand who these people are". You have to have the explanations on hand in every episode. So why bother writing a whole episode that laboriously wheels everything into position?

Totally agree when it comes to multicam audience sitcoms. But (while obviously you don't want a stale 'setup episode'), if you're creating a show that has an ongoing story, and isn't written on the (wonderful, hilarious, I wish I could write like it) 'Bright/Kauffman/Crane/Linehan Model' (i.e.: joke a second, cut to: surreal pre-recorded illustrations of characters jokes, shot in front of a live studio audience, build around a small lovable cast etc etc), there's nothing wrong with a good setup - and each episode cannot be the first.

There are some excellent comedy series which have been built around a strong narratives - Rise and Fall..., The Book Group, I'm Alan Partridge, Nighty Night etc.

Anyways... If anyone's interested, what I ended up doing was spending a few hours creating a frankenscript, with the funniest scenes from episode two, and some of the introductory components of episode one. Here's hoping it's funny enough and well structured enough to provoke some interest. Thanks again for all the advice.

Well advice is great to ignore sometimes. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Quote: writer for hire @ May 16 2012, 12:08 PM BST

Well, if you don't play by the rules no one will pick you to play the game :-)

A player makes his own game, ese.

But what if that game is the game of life?

Quote: evan rubivellian @ May 17 2012, 11:19 AM BST

But what if that game is the game of life?

Change the game. Because I'm a game changer.

Just sent off a stage play for the BBC WR quarterly submission.

:)

Interesting choice.
Do they accept stage plays?

Indeed they do. They say "a lot of our writers come from theatre backgrounds, so stage plays are welcome."

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ May 18 2012, 5:05 PM BST

Indeed they do. They say "a lot of our writers come from theatre backgrounds, so stage plays are welcome."

Whereabouts is that?
It really is an extraordinarily complicated site for something so relatively simple.
They should get some decent writers in! Whistling nnocently

Quote: Lazzard @ May 16 2012, 11:43 AM BST

Well, first up, I presume you are sending to those six (once you've made the pilot funny enough)
Secondly a lot ( not all, mind you) of those 'no unsolicited material' conditions are there to put off the faint-hearted.

Exactly. It always amazes me that people don't think about what the phrase 'no unsolicited material' actually means. Have they not bothered to read the second word?

You just need to get yourself in a position where your material will be solicited, that's all.

Quote: Antrax @ May 19 2012, 9:58 AM BST

You just need to get yourself in a position where your material will be solicited.

Like a cheap hooker.

Whats the new internet pimping service called Bussell?

Quote: David Bussell @ May 19 2012, 1:03 PM BST

Like a cheap hooker?

It's got no chance against Sootyj's

"we suck any cock .com"

Quote: Lazzard @ May 18 2012, 5:48 PM BST

Whereabouts is that?
It really is an extraordinarily complicated site for something so relatively simple.
They should get some decent writers in! Whistling nnocently

It is a bit of a maze to navigate.

OK, it mentions what mediums/formats they accept at http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/send-a-script/sending-your-script

But it misses out stage plays in the accepted list at http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/send-a-script/terms-and-conditions

Um. Not exactly sure where I saw the "writers from theatrical backgrounds" line.

Anyone who sent a script off for the 21st May window received an acknowledgement yet?

Their latest tweet said they're still logging scripts and will send out acknowledgements next week.