Sending Sitcom to BBC Writersroom Page 10

Bloody hell, you know how to keep yourself busy. It's taken me the best part of 2 years to write a single episode of a sitcom.
Good luck with ALL of it : )

Quote: Tim Azure @ 15th February 2014, 7:19 PM GMT

Perhaps it's not for you, then? How are you to create a series at that writing speed?

(It may be I'm being flippant, but two years is probably the time to write a novel, not an episode)

Yep. you're, right. I'm going, to give, up writing altoget

Quote: Bonzo @ 15th February 2014, 4:39 PM GMT

I sent a drama and it didn't make it past 10 pages. Bit disappointed but have licked wounds and putting it behind me now.

However, I am confused about this 'distinctive voice'. I wrote something that I'd personally enjoy watching on telly (I realise everyone likes different things), but it certainly wasn't something that's never been done before.

Anyone got any clues on what constitutes a distinctive voice?

Roll on March for the next submission window....

Brian Blessed

I'm currently working on Blessed this House, where he shouts at a house.

Quote: sootyj @ 16th February 2014, 9:35 AM GMT

Brian Blessed

I'm currently working on Blessed this House, where he shouts at a house.

Ha ha! Now that I'd definitely watch! :D

Quote: Mattytheswan @ 14th February 2014, 9:05 PM GMT

I just got a very polite "No thank you" from writers room. Apparently I got passed the first 10 pages stage along with 15% of the other 2900 submissions and someone else read the rest of it...but t my script will "go no further and receive no further feedback"? . Not sure what to make of it as I thought my first 10 was the weakest part so surprised it got put trough to the next stage. was wondering whether this is just a blanket e-mail sent to all ? Did anyone else submit in December and got the same e-mail ??

If it was the weakest part why did you send it? Couldn't you rearrange it? Flashbacks etc?

Quote: Mattytheswan @ 16th February 2014, 3:08 AM GMT

Yep. you're, right. I'm going, to give, up writing altoget

:)

I asked Writersroom which window for a 'comedy drama' (drama = march and comedy = april/may). They said 30 mins or less should go in comedy. Over 30 mins should go into drama.

Quote: Bonzo @ 22nd February 2014, 9:48 AM GMT

I asked Writersroom which window for a 'comedy drama' (drama = march and comedy = april/may). They said 30 mins or less should go in comedy. Over 30 mins should go into drama.

Yeah, I get really confused by this 30 mins = comedy stuff. I suppose if you are making a 30 minute 'comedy/drama' (if that exists) you'd better make sure there is funny in there somewhere.

Mike.

Quote: Tim Azure @ 25th February 2014, 5:29 PM GMT

Ridiculous!

Talking Heads was one of the best dramas ever, and that lasted thirty minutes. Bleak House also was divided into half hour sections.

What's wrong with half hour dramas? Or hour long (or even feature length) comedy?

I totally agree and have been banging this drum for a while.
And it's not just the BBC. I've had the comment 'this can't be a comedy/drama as it's not an hour long'.

There are plenty of examples of half hour comedy/dramas - Derek, Moone Boy, even Inside Number 9 (dark comedy/drama?).

Mike.

They've updated their 'Send a Script' page with the exact dates for drama, which is 17th to 31st March - http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/send-a-script/

I suppose the comedy dates will be up soon, as it's the next window after drama, we've only had 'April/May' to go on since Christmas.

This'll be my first one to BBC via a normal script room submission, I've sent one via laughing stock and laugh track before (and different versions elsewhere like Sitcom Mission etc), but this will be my first proper writers room submission.

Apt, as this is the most 'ready' script I'll be putting out so far (he says before striking out first round again) Laughing out loud

Not sure if I've posted this on the forum.

Comedy window is open for 2 weeks, from the 28th April (next Monday) until 12th May.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/send-a-script/

Quote: Feeoree @ 21st April 2014, 4:21 PM BST

Not sure if I've posted this on the forum.

Comedy window is open for 2 weeks, from the 28th April (next Monday) until 12th May.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/send-a-script/

Cheers for the heads up. I'll certainly give this a go.

I loved Talking Heads too. But I think you'll find it ran longer than thirty minutes and was definitely a drama not a comedy drama or a sitcom. A series of dramatic monologues beautifully written and portrayed.

Have mine almost good to go. Going to rewrite it, show it to a few people, make any adjustments and then get it sent off. Does anyone have any idea about how many people tend to send scripts for comedy, what the timeline is like and what is likely to come of it, if they love your script?

Just uploaded something written especially for this window of opportunity.

Need to do a brief Series Outline now.

Quote: gbus @ 6th May 2014, 8:11 PM BST

Does anyone have any idea about how many people tend to send scripts for comedy, what the timeline is like and what is likely to come of it, if they love your script?

This is the first time Writersroom have split their script calls into genres, so no idea.

They usually get in the region of 1300 scripts, but that's for all genres at once.

If they really like your script, you may be invited to one of their development workshops, masterclasses or even shadow schemes, but only a very small % get that far.