Benidorm - Series 5 Page 2

I enjoyed it today!

Quote: Burton Sparkler @ February 29 2012, 7:08 PM GMT

Too many characters have left

Characters have to leave. One of the most ridiculous things about the first three series was how you had something as random as a fortnight in Benidorm and it had the same people in it over and over.

I gave up halfway through series 3 and halfway through series 4. It peaked in the second series and has been mostly dire since. I'll give it another go though with it having the new writer.

You'd be amazed how many people go back to the same resorts over the same time period year after year. A good episode overall, loved the Squirrel Bigcock line.

Have to say, after the first show I wasn't expecting much, but episode two was *much* better. A lot more enjoyable. Focusing a bit more on the characters helped.

I was a bit annoyed cos it took me *ages* to learn how to dance, but nothing that a tooth-grinding suspension of disbelief didn't deal with. Is that enough negatives for you?

Dan

Impressed with Steve Pemberton's episode last night. Hoping for more of the same in future.

Not bad at all, some good laughs especially the stag night.

After Friday's episode, I get the impression that Steve Pemberton might be a Tommy Cooper fan.

Lol, yes. He did give that impression. (Literally.)

Wasn't the whole reason Litten agreed to write series 5 was that Joan Collins was going to be in it? Have I missed something?

Disappointed on the whole. There were no stories really. Couldn't the Donald/thugs from prison been stretched out with a few scenes of comic peril? Did it have to be resolved in 5 minutes? Same with the Garveys' fire at the shops -- surely that could have been dragged out a bit to keep us interested?

Dan

Yep, that's the only reason - supposedly - he returned. So, yeah, rather odd. Simmonds was clearly written with her in mind!

Agreed on the thugs story. So peculiar to introduce that so late in the series. They could've filled at least 2 really good episodes with those guys forcing themselves upon the Solana residents.

The fire had been hinted at since episode 1 so it wasn't quite the null trajectory that it might have seemed, but again, stringing out the formal admission of the problems further would have been beneficial.

Felt that Series 5 was awful and has ruined the show's repuatation. Considering Derren Litten said he was stopping after Series 4, he should have because I feel as he is doing more and more episodes. The show is becoming less believeable and unfunny. It's more of a comedy drama now than a sitcom, which it was originally.

Benidorm was bad in Series 5, however some bits were still funny though.
Too many episodes and too many characters.