Laugh Track - Studio Sitcom Contest Page 3

Got tons to do this month and will have to write original script so not too worried!

Entrants must submit:

- a script for television studio comedy of 30 minutes/pages in length and
- an outline for how the series would develop
- a Laugh Track

Seriously?

I have just had an idea for this that I love.
Now I have to bloody write it.

Quote: Bomsh @ February 1 2012, 5:36 PM GMT

Entrants must submit:

- a script for television studio comedy of 30 minutes/pages in length and
- an outline for how the series would develop
- a Laugh Track

Seriously?

:D

Quote: ShirleyMcFurley @ January 31 2012, 9:32 PM GMT

Go on, Mikey. Enter it tomorrow...hehehehe

OK, maybe I won't enter it "tomorrow" which is now today. :)

Just got my Red Planet rejection. It's all falling into place, oh yes!

Quote: Frantically @ February 1 2012, 7:28 PM GMT

Just got my Red Planet rejection. It's all falling into place, oh yes!

Blimey. Is it taking that long to send them out? Or perhaps they just thought mine was especially crap so I got it early.

Why - when did you get yours? I thought I was pretty much the first.

Chin up KL. I've developed a novel mechanism for dealing with rejections - I'm going to pretend each one is (in some vague way) a part of my devilish global masterplan.

Why Sitcommission, how delightful to see you again. Please, step this way....heh heh heh.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ February 1 2012, 6:16 PM GMT

OK, maybe I won't enter it "tomorrow" which is now today. :)

That's deep, man.

Quote: Marooned @ February 1 2012, 9:50 PM GMT

That's deep, man.

that's more than deep - that's a really good idea! Laughing out loud

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 1 2012, 2:07 PM GMT

Time for me to wheel out 'Tim Dashing, the Doctor-Vicar-Vet who moves to the small village of Menopause Under Debenhams'

Damn...that's over half the market covered.

Guess I'll have to fall back on the standard 'Mid-30's woman who never seems to be able to get a boyfriend but has a great relationship with one bloke who just happens to be a 'non-threatening poof' from central casting'

It's about time Nina Conti became famous, so maybe the giant teddy bear (that sits on the bed and gets hugged every time a date goes wrong) could have the ability to speak (like a kind of 'sassy muppet') and would criticise the lead in ways that, if a man said it, would get me arrested for sexism.

A new blog post has been written about Laugh Track.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/blogwritersroom/posts/How-to-avoid-canned-laughter-in-your-Laugh-Track-script

Cheers Ian :)

Not going with my originally written script, gonna enter something new. Idea has been in my head a while, needs to get on the page. Plenty of characters, more immediate comedy than the other idea.

This is a brilliant scheme and I want to enter a script. You have to post it, no emails, and you have to post it between March 1st and March 21st.

I fly back from Australia on March 20th after a month away. Thankyou BBC.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ February 2 2012, 2:45 PM GMT

A new blog post has been written about Laugh Track.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/blogwritersroom/posts/How-to-avoid-canned-laughter-in-your-Laugh-Track-script

Thanks Ian, wished I'd never read it though.

To save time clicking on the link, here are the suggestions -

1. Copy everything you've ever seen
2. Be as unoriginal as possible
3. Feature people falling over so the live audience of clap monkeys know when to laugh
4. Make people laugh but don't make them think
5. Help destroy British comedy once and for all

And why do all these sitcom competitions always mention Basil Fawlty as the ideal?

'Here ya go, my main character is an unlikeable racist psychopath who hates his wife'

'Sorry, we can't have a main character who's an unlikeable racist psychopath who hates his wife'

:S