Milton Jones's House Of Rooms Page 3

Perhaps BBC1 could take it up, and put it on Monday nights at 9.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ January 17 2012, 5:11 PM GMT

Do you have any proof?

Yep, this reply to email submitted to Channel 4:

"Unfortunately, we have no plans to commission a series based on this programme.
Sorry we can't help."

Quote: simon condywust @ January 18 2012, 1:16 PM GMT

"Unfortunately, we have no plans to commission a series based on this programme.
Sorry we can't help."

I'm wondering if that's the same email they sent to Mr Jones?

Quote: simon condywust @ January 18 2012, 1:16 PM GMT

Yep, this reply to email submitted to Channel 4:

Sorry we can't help."

Surely that's not how a pilot's supposed to work! Aren't you meant to look at viewing figures, reactions and then see? Otherwise why broadcast a pilot at all?

Quote: Tim Azure @ January 21 2012, 3:25 PM GMT

Aren't you meant to look at viewing figures, reactions and then see? Otherwise why broadcast a pilot at all?

They did. The pilot aired, and garnered a 'meh' response at best. Hence no further commission.

Case closed.

Quote: Tim Azure @ January 21 2012, 3:25 PM GMT

Surely that's not how a pilot's supposed to work! Aren't you meant to look at viewing figures, reactions and then see? Otherwise why broadcast a pilot at all?

More likely, Simon should take the e-mail reply as literal. Bit early for them to be making a decision at all, never mind telling the public.

Well, don't forget that it's a Comedy Showcase prog, a one off show in its own right; it doesn't have to justify itself with a follow up series. They don't have the resources to turn every Showcase episode into a series, and perhaps they had already made their minds up this one wasn't strong enough to become a full series.

It did have a thin premise and not much else about it was notably new or original. Maybe they've let the cat out of the bag with the email; C4 aren't a secretive or pompous station like the BBC, but have always been pretty open, I thought. Pretty sure that many or even most commissioning decisions are made before 'pilots' airing, in fact. The airing itself is just making use of film stock. I could be wrong of course, but this is how I've always viewed the process.

You are (and it's unlikely to be on film in the first place). There are a vast number of shows, piloted and trialled in varying formats by all broadcasters, every year, that never see the light of day. From theatrical presentations to closed read-throughs and material 'try out' sessions, not to mention full pilot production, there are numerous options on the table depending on the type of show and how it's internally received.

I understand there to be additional costs involved in broadcasting too, and you don't just throw cash around without knowing whether or not it's a for broadcast pilot or not; these episodes still cost tens of thousands of pounds.

It is true to say that some decisions are made before broadcast, however.

Video or digital media, then, it's still film stock in the general usage sense.

Yes, I know there are many that don't get used, but I did say this 'pilot' was made for the Comedy Showcase series, so it was always going to be aired, whether it was thought strong enough for a further series of its own or not.

Yes I know they are very expensive to produce. That's why bods have to be convinced of its potential as a series to get the sums they need poured into it. I can't see how any cautious, experienced series commissioner could say confidently that MJHOR justified the go ahead. Especially when there's a queue of other new pilots waiting to be tried out. Just my little thoughts, could be wrong, but I'd be gobsmacked if that show gets picked up.

Despite a reasonably entertaining and clever looking second half, that show had virtually zero depth imo. Nothing to build on. Or very little indeed. And even if they'd wanted to make it into a 'Sykes' type light sitcom vehicle for a star, there's no way MJ is well known enough to carry it.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ January 21 2012, 11:35 PM GMT

I can't see how any cautious, experienced series commissioner could say confidently that MJHOR justified the go ahead.

They commissioned Campus...

Hmm, conveniently, I haven't seen it. I choose a selective batch of new ones to watch in a year, and it usually doesn't last long before I can't bear anymore.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ January 21 2012, 11:35 PM GMT

Video or digital media, then, it's still film stock in the general usage sense.

Yes, I know there are many that don't get used, but I did say this 'pilot' was made for the Comedy Showcase series, so it was always going to be aired, whether it was thought strong enough for a further series of its own or not.

Yes I know they are very expensive to produce. That's why bods have to be convinced of its potential as a series to get the sums they need poured into it. I can't see how any cautious, experienced series commissioner could say confidently that MJHOR justified the go ahead. Especially when there's a queue of other new pilots waiting to be tried out. Just my little thoughts, could be wrong, but I'd be gobsmacked if that show gets picked up.

Despite a reasonably entertaining and clever looking second half, that show had virtually zero depth imo. Nothing to build on. Or very little indeed. And even if they'd wanted to make it into a 'Sykes' type light sitcom vehicle for a star, there's no way MJ is well known enough to carry it.

Don't forgot that we aren't the commissioners. This is just speculation.
You can argue it wasn't entertaining but I think it did have the relationships of the characters to build on, which gives it some depth.
It seems strange to say that Milton is not well known enough to be in his own (better than average) written sitcom. He's a light comedian, so his sitcom would be light. There are a lot of "heavy" comedians which have created crap sitcoms.

Just watched this online and I quite enjoyed it. Definitely hasn't quite found it's feet yet, but these showcases never seem to be fully-formed, and the tone of this one was nicely barmy.

I noticed in the credits a Simon Wright was dubbing-mixer or somesuch. Wonder if that's Simon of Si & Dec fame?

I caught a bit of this a few years back and didn't think much of it, but I just watched it and am happy to say it was a lot funnier than I remember it being. It definitely does smack of early 2000s sitcoms, I think I saw brief glimpses of influence from things like 15 Storeys High and Happiness. Of course, they don't commission sitcoms how they used to 15 (then 10) years ago, so it might've suffered from that. It was great to see Milton in a piece with more of a story, and I'd have loved to see what they would've done with it as a series

Unfortunately, as with a lot of pilots in recent years, this was ignored in favour of more predictable pilots with bigger names featured. I want to know who commissions stuff like Home from Home and Motherland over this, We The Jury, The Pact, Our Ex-Wife, etc.

The episode is on All 4 if anyone wants to watch it.