Newsjack - Series 6 Page 35

Ta for your advice. I guess I'm just interested in finding out how the raw material gets submitted and how that compares to the finished product. I'm sure seeing it live would be the way, but there's no chance of me getting to a show (I'm a bit too provincial!). I really enjoy reading this thread for just those reasons, and it was interesting to see people earlier comparing topics.

Thanks again,
Kate

Newsjack has been script-edited by the same people for 3 series now I think.

It seems everyone is working on one-liners - so maybe sketches are the way forward Katie! Always zag when others zig.

Okay maybe the team doesn't change as frequently as I suggested but it does change and I was trying to be helpful. I don't think Katie would find listening to the first couple of series very helpful as to be brutally honest they weren't that funny. I stick to my assertation that there is a different tone to this series thus far and I would ascribe that to the influence of Ed Morrish rather than having Simon Mayhew-Archer as producer.

Interesting. This is very much at odds with my take on things, but I think it's interesting that you feel that. For my money, you may be over-emphasising the influence of both Simon and Ed on the shows.

And Simon is an absolutely excellent comedy producer, imo.

Quote: Katie P @ March 5 2012, 9:17 PM GMT

Ta for your advice. I guess I'm just interested in finding out how the raw material gets submitted and how that compares to the finished product. I'm sure seeing it live would be the way, but there's no chance of me getting to a show (I'm a bit too provincial!). I really enjoy reading this thread for just those reasons, and it was interesting to see people earlier comparing topics.

Thanks again,
Kate

Kate, here is a sketch Ian wrote and how they edited it. It's a good example. https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/20167/

Also, in Critique, there is a (loose) naming convention for Newsjack sketches so if you do a search on 'NJ:', you'll get a list of most of the sketches that have been submitted by BCGers since series 1!

In terms of tone, that week's script editor has a big hand in running things, and it's up to them to make the whole thing gel together by writing the links, so if there's any difference in 'tone', I would ascribe that more to the script editor than any particular producer. That said, it must be the (good) submitted sketches that create the general feel of the show, so they're just tidying it into a 'tone' rather than dictating it.

Dan

Thanks for all the help everyone, I really appreciate it!

Kate :)

Quote: swerytd @ March 6 2012, 9:18 AM GMT

Kate, here is a sketch Ian wrote and how they edited it. It's a good example. https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/20167/

Also, in Critique, there is a (loose) naming convention for Newsjack sketches so if you do a search on 'NJ:', you'll get a list of most of the sketches that have been submitted by BCGers since series 1!

In terms of tone, that week's script editor has a big hand in running things, and it's up to them to make the whole thing gel together by writing the links, so if there's any difference in 'tone', I would ascribe that more to the script editor than any particular producer. That said, it must be the (good) submitted sketches that create the general feel of the show, so they're just tidying it into a 'tone' rather than dictating it.

Dan

I agree with this Dan!

Quote: Katie P @ March 5 2012, 6:32 PM GMT

Hi all, I've got a question about one-liners and how people structure them.
Do you
A) Submit lots of jokes on one or two themes?
B) Submit one or two jokes each on lots of themes?
C) a mixture of both A &B?
D) Not structure it like that at all?

I made my first Newsjack submissions today, and want to see how far off the mark I am....
All thoughts gratefully received!

kate

Hi Katie - think you've got lots of answers earlier but on the submitting on a theme question my suggestion would be go for just one joke, maybe two, on a particular news story (is that what you meant by theme?). From the webchat earlier in the series (see link below if you want to read it) it would seem best not send several one-liners on the same theme. Personally I think it shows you don't edit your own work so you're wanting them do it for you.

Also they seem to suggest it's better to not send in loads of one-liners (more than 10 from webchat) and to put your best ones at the top. Being only human
they'll be paying more attention at the start than at the end of a long list.

And if you want to see some examples of other people's work have a look in Critique under NJ series 6 one-liners. If you're feeling brave stick them up there for some feedback!

Here's that webchat link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4extra/features/newsjack/

I'd say statistically getting 2 jokes or a joke and a sketch on one episode is a massive achievement.

So focus on bringing your A game. They will edit for their own needs, but if you haven't done it yourself it's doubtful you'll be noticed.

nb 2 rules of thumb I find work for most open access stuff is

1 copy the house style and format it shows respect

2 if you don't edit yourself into a usable format no one will read you

Quote: StephenM @ March 6 2012, 11:09 AM GMT

And if you want to see some examples of other people's work have a look in Critique under NJ series 6 one-liners. If you're feeling brave stick them up there for some feedback!

Ha! Perhaps next week! Now I know a bit more, I see that my stuff is like an A-Z of what not to do! I don't think I'll be troubling their finance department any time soon...

Many many thanks for all the useful help, advice, and links, folks- its exactly what I was looking for!

Good luck to all you Newsjackers! :)

Will have had enough stress for one week, so in order to preserve my sanity, for the first time since I became aware of Newsjack's existence I'm not submitting a single thing this week.

This series hasn't been well-timed for me at all, but hopefully the dust will settle in time for me to have a proper crack at the second half of the run - good luck to all those who have been slaving over one-liners, etc for the last couple of days, I'm still going to check out all your hard work (hopefully by listening to the show!) on Thursday. :)

I'm very pleased with the one-liners I've submitted, however I feel like I've let myself down (yet again) on the sketch front.

Anyone written any one-liners about:
Terry's chocolate orange factory, or
Woman Red Arrows Pilot not being able to park / stopping to ask for directions?

If so probably best to stay away from twitter.

(Btw - what is the Terry's chocolate orange factory one???? I'm guessing some chelsea joke)

I have no idea either so it may be a Chelsea thing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-17257459
This, I think. Though this is the first I've heard of it.

Dan