Newsjack - Series 6 Page 34

Just the one from me: Steve Hilton leaving. My hopes are not high.

Also struggling for one-liners.

Quote: Timbo @ March 5 2012, 1:45 PM GMT

Just the one from me: Steve Hilton leaving.

I covered this too. Also, police privatisation and Google. Good luck all.

Good to see I've gone with the flow this week. I covered:

Police Privatisaion
Putin Winning
EU Fiscal treaty

At least I can rest easy knowing there's always big laughs in EU treaties.

I didn't send a sketch in the end. Had one about Andre Villas Boas being sacked (consisted of an interview with an over-zealous Chelsea fan) and it also referenced Putin and Steve Hilton, but it was rubbish.

Got some one liners though, will do some more tonight too.

I went for the path less travelled on sketches and went for non musical music lessons and the need for accountability in terrorism (Cameron did squeak about it while he was being ignored by the rest of Europe) but I feel that the main topics will be Putin and Chelsea - probably in the same sketch. And the horse...

With the one-liners this week, I'm going for quality over quantity and only submitting ten.

seem we all went for the same subjects - don't thinkthat's good. KLRiley great idea with music sketch, I saw that story and didn't give it a second thought. Good catch

Thank you kindly Blahblah but I fear, although it may be a good spot, the execution is weaker than a dribble of Robinson's Orange squash in the Amazon.

Lots of oneliners noted. None funny as yet...

I'm new to all this -- I submitted a sketch last week, but before that hadn't written anything for ages -- so I'm not holding out too much hope. Nonetheless, I sent in two sketches: one about Michael Gove's emails, and one about Cardinal O'Brien's article in the telegraph.

Hi all, I've got a question about one-liners and how people structure them.
Do you
A) Submit lots of jokes on one or two themes?
B) Submit one or two jokes each on lots of themes?
C) a mixture of both A &B?
D) Not structure it like that at all?

I made my first Newsjack submissions today, and want to see how far off the mark I am....
All thoughts gratefully received!

kate

Best thing to do Katie is listen to the show.

Quote: Katie P @ March 5 2012, 6:32 PM GMT

Hi all, I've got a question about one-liners and how people structure them.
Do you
A) Submit lots of jokes on one or two themes?
B) Submit one or two jokes each on lots of themes?
C) a mixture of both A &B?
D) Not structure it like that at all?

I made my first Newsjack submissions today, and want to see how far off the mark I am....
All thoughts gratefully received!

kate

If your talking about one-liner submissions just write as many one-liners on as many topics and only send in the best. If your talking about sketches, take a topic at a unique and funny angle and play it as far as you can. Then edit it into a tight, short, funny sketch.

not doing good with one liners this week! One page of Apps and none really jump out. Rewrites in order

Quote: KLRiley @ March 5 2012, 7:26 PM GMT

Best thing to do Katie is listen to the show.

I do, and I have done, but I can't find very many on YouTube/iPlayer etc, not even from the previous series, so its quite hard to analyze how its put together.

Know of any useful links where I might be able to find previous shows?

Thanks,
Kate

This is where it gets tricky. The script editor and producer do change roughly every series so there's not much point listening to previous series as you won't get a handle on what the current team are looking for. Just listen to the previous eps on iPlayer and have a look at the webchat/twitter/webpage for what they suggest but also have a tour round the rejects thread or pick your way through this thread for people to admit to what got on.
But it's comedy, it's is subjective. What they are looking for is funny and topical. Keep trying.