Newsjack - Series 6 Page 32

Maybe that's it. Also, 6 being in an old school hall probably put them all on edge...

Dan

The venue can make such a difference. The smaller the venue, the better it is for radio recordings, in my experience. Ronnie Scotts was fantastic in the days of 'It's Been A Bad Week'... but whenever it was at ULU (University of London Union), it was never as good

I'm not sure any team ever tailors the script to a venue, they just get on with it, but it does make a difference.

The venue may play a part but in terms of material selected it might have more to do with there being a different script editor this week.

Now there's a challenge for next week, tailor your stuff to the incoming script editor...

Don't worry about it either way. Just write what you feel is a strong, funny idea, that's suitable for NJ.

I forgot to say, mine was the Holmes and Watson sketch near the end. I say "mine"; they retained the words "Holmes", "Watson" and "aubergine", but not much else. I'm still pleased with the idea, and the credit. :)

In the sketch club now, Badge! :)

Dan

*exchanges secret handshake*

Listening again to last night's epsiode - it's appears as if it was Justin who read my JackApp.

Which means I can now say that the man who plays my eighth favourite character in my third favourite sitcom, has read a (heavily altered) line of dialogue, written by me.

Quote: groovydude89 @ March 2 2012, 2:00 PM GMT

Which means I can now say that the man who plays my eighth favourite character in my third favourite sitcom, has read a (heavily altered) line of dialogue, written by me.

Similar sentiments led to me watch both seasons of 'Rev'.....

If anyone would find it useful I have on my blog a list of the topics covered on Newsjack last week

Although if you haven't listened to the show I would recommend doing that! You can find it here on iPlayer

The list is more for people who want to check that a story they've spotted was not done last week and can't be bothered to listen the whole episode again to check. No warranty supplied, use at you own risk, always ask a responsible adult to help you when using scissors.

(EDIT to make links work)

Thanks David! I've wrote 8 sketches this week - dismissed 3 as not good enough/not right tone but still leaves me 5 and I'm struggling to pick 3. Any hints on what I should be looking for?

Quote: blahblah @ March 4 2012, 12:34 PM GMT

Thanks David! I've wrote 8 sketches this week - dismissed 3 as not good enough/not right tone but still leaves me 5 and I'm struggling to pick 3. Any hints on what I should be looking for?

Nicely done, I'm still writing, written three and working on a fourth. Blahblah, do you get each sketch into submittable status, or do you work on the framework and general dialogue before you choose your final three and re-write and edit them?

mix really. This week I made notes of subjects and thought of jokes that would work then I wrote first draft and reworked them all and at that point I knew 3 of them weren't right for NJ submission so put them to one side and re-writing/editing 5 to sumittable status (in my opinion at least) and chose best three.

Thanks, I kind of did the same, some ideas got chucked away at the planning stages. I've got one that's submittable, and two which are short, punchy and getting there. I want to write another three so I have six to choose from but I seem to labour over certain jokes for hours, I think I need to learn to just walk away and start writing something else.

Quote: blahblah @ March 4 2012, 12:34 PM GMT

Wow. Well done. I think Newsjack always make sure they cover the bigger stories, so perhaps go for them if you really can't separate the sketches in terms of quality. Also, if you go for one of the major stories and they don't like your sketch, they make still take a line and implant it into someone else's sketch.

For the sketches you don't use, you may be able to submit some of the jokes as one liners.