Newsjack - Series 6 Page 24

Just a heads up for people sending their submissions in today. They're obviously getting a few people not following the guidelines, and this is helpful if you don't have Word.

@NewsjackBBC - "People who send stuff in pdf because they 'don't have word' - you can save as a .doc from Google docs. Which is internet based and free."

@NewsjackBBC - "there are many ways to create a .doc or .rtf for free.. (GDocs, Open Office etc.)"

Do the Newsjack team keep all of the submissions after an episode has aired - or do they delete the documents?

That's 11 sent off including two "and finally" options.

I ummed and ahhhed about sending a Brooks/horse joke and was going to leave it since everyone will be sending them but went with an app about it anyway.

A reasonable selection sent off today - although again most probably fall into the 'too obvious' (or, worse, 'unfunny') categories...they are at least 'good' enough to post in the rejects thread, unlike last weeks (but then again, not getting married this week helped!), so you'll be able to tell me which of the above categories apply...

Feel a bit better after having failed to come up with a single sketch idea worth pursuing on the weekend!

Quote: Jinky @ February 27 2012, 8:59 PM GMT

Interesting how the last few tweets all have the subtext "This would be a great little show if members of the public stopped sending stuff in".

I mean, we all know its real function is a boot camp for trainee production staff but you'd think they'd at least keep up the pretence that they are looking for new writers!

Laughing out loud and Pirate

(Still don't know what Pirate is supposed to mean....)

Absolute nonsense.

EDIT - Not worth the hassle.

Quote: groovydude89 @ February 28 2012, 3:30 PM GMT

Do the Newsjack team keep all of the submissions after an episode has aired - or do they delete the documents?

My reading of previous webchats led me to conclude that they usually start with a blank sheet of paper on Monday morning and if something wasn't good enough to get in last week's episode it isn't going to be good enough to get into this week's.
(Others may disagree)

Although given so many news stories come round again it's definitely worth keeping a copy to see if can be re-written and improved on later.

Quote: radiat10n @ February 28 2012, 3:39 PM GMT

(but then again, not getting married this week helped!), so you'll be able to tell me which of the above

Congrats. I think?

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ February 28 2012, 3:56 PM GMT

Congrats. I think?

Dan

Cheers Dan - yep it was definitely a good thing! :D

Quote: StephenM @ February 28 2012, 3:53 PM GMT

My reading of previous webchats led me to conclude that they usually start with a blank sheet of paper on Monday morning and if something wasn't good enough to get in last week's episode it isn't going to be good enough to get into this week's.
(Others may disagree)

What I actually meant was:

If a writer sends in a couple of sketches which really impress the team, and lead them to think that he/she is good enough to be offered a job opportunity - would they be able to look back on that person's earlier Newsjack submissions?

Or to put it another way:

Is there a folder with my name on it on Newsjack's computer, containing all of the shite I've submitted to date?

I'd imagine they keep the ones that made the show (maybe even the ones that were recorded) and they'll have your email address on them

Sent mine off. Apps, 1 correction & 3 And Finally bits. First attempt at them quite happy with all three now they don't count as a sketch might try them each week

Quote: groovydude89 @ February 28 2012, 4:13 PM GMT

Is there a folder with my name on it on Newsjack's computer, containing all of the shite I've submitted to date?

I'm sure they've said something before about getting rid of the sketches (either they don't read them again or they blanket delete the folder at the end of the week or something).

Dan

Quote: Mr Writer Like In The Song @ February 28 2012, 3:49 PM GMT

Absolute nonsense.

Well, let's just say that 'opinion be divided'.

(That's what Pirate means!!)

Just sent mine! One correction intro, a few Jack Apps, a couple of And finally's and a Lesson. Did anyone else submit any Lessons?

Finally made a feeble attempt at picking out some of the fab stories that hit today. I really wish I could have done something more constructive with the flatworm story.

Quote: groovydude89 @ February 28 2012, 4:13 PM GMT

What I actually meant was:

If a writer sends in a couple of sketches which really impress the team, and lead them to think that he/she is good enough to be offered a job opportunity - would they be able to look back on that person's earlier Newsjack submissions?

Or to put it another way:

They may not actually keep your sketches but they certainly do remember people whose stuff they like. They said before they get excited when something arrives from someone who has sent good stuff in the past.

And there's more than a few of us on here who've been invited into BBC HQ on the back of our submissions.

Not many of us with job offers though...

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ February 28 2012, 4:53 PM GMT

Just sent mine! One correction intro, a few Jack Apps, a couple of And finally's and a Lesson. Did anyone else submit any Lessons?

Yes! I'm more pleased than I should be that someone else is still submitting Lessons even thought they've never used them in the show. Ever.

They've got to do one one episode, haven't they?
(Just don't mention NewsDog.)