The Sitcom Trials 2012 Page 5

Quote: Trinder @ February 13 2012, 9:27 AM GMT

Hi there,
I've only just found out about this. How often does it happen? Is it an annual event or more regular.
Thanks
Neil

The Sitcom Trials is becoming more regular. Last year there were two Manchester Sitcom Trials (with another planned for this July), and Vince (Mr Ashdown) has set up a new Bristol Sitcom Trials, the first of which will be on March 30th (with a follow up show very likely indeed).

There is a lot of interest in the return of the London Sitcom Trials (there hasn't been one since 2009) so that could easily happen before the summer.

The best first stop shop for news and updates is sitcomtrials.co.uk, though this Forum gets the news too.

Kev F
Exec Producer
The Sitcom Trials

Aces.
Do you tend to keep the same script format? ie 8 pages/3 pages?

Also, I think I'm being a bit dense. Where do we give/receive reviews and feedback? Is there any feedback/reviews up for already posted scripts? Just want to check out the format.
Ta

Quote: Trinder @ February 13 2012, 7:56 PM GMT

Aces.
Do you tend to keep the same script format? ie 8 pages/3 pages?

Yes. Vince (Stadon) is in charge of these shows and has set out the guidelines here on the sitcomtrials.co.uk blog. If he wants to vary the requirements, he'll announce it here (and I'll copy it to everywhere else if he doesn't).

Quote: Trinder @ February 14 2012, 7:13 AM GMT

Also, I think I'm being a bit dense. Where do we give/receive reviews and feedback? Is there any feedback/reviews up for already posted scripts? Just want to check out the format.
Ta

You'll be able to post your reviews and votes here on this very forum, making it a perfect place to linger. Or you can post them at the SitsVac eGroup (the thing you have to join to upload your files).

The call for reviews and votes comes after the script deadline. Oh, and it can get bloody...

I do have some fanciful notions about making the online script selection a much simpler and impressive arrangement (I may have a Widget in my pipeline, I know I can feel something down there). But for now, the old tried and tested Read/Review/Vote system will be in action very soon.

(For the uninitiated, a Yes vote is worth 2 points, a Maybe is worth 1 vote and a No is worth minus 1, meaning that your votes only affect those scripts you have time to read and every vote makes a difference. In past seasons we have had up to 60 scripts to vote on, and we hope to have many more in future submission rounds, so nobody expects everyone to read every entry. This system makes it possible for everyone to help in the selection, however few or many scripts you can manage to read.)

Thanks mate, understand now. Reviewing looks like a right bunfight. Look forward to it.

Hi Kev,

Am I allowed to enter two scripts?

Alan

Quote: Alan O'Brien @ February 17 2012, 9:33 AM GMT

Am I allowed to enter two scripts?

Yes.

Cool - thanks very much :-)

Quote: evan rubivellian @ February 11 2012, 3:28 PM GMT

Lovely touch that "The Duplicate" has been uploaded twice!

Aye.

Quote: evan rubivellian @ February 11 2012, 3:28 PM GMT

Lovely touch that "The Duplicate" has been uploaded twice!

Aye.

Hello!

The Bristol Sitcom Trials have been offered a fifteen minute slot at the next "Secret Comedians" gig at the Richmond pub, Clifton, Bristol, on Thursday March 1st. This is all thanks to Elf Lyons, a member of the new Bristol team, who also does a marvelous job of running "The Secret Comedians".

They've a Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/events/134078816714296/

I'm looking for scripts which need very little rehearsal and which can be easily performed script-in-hand style. There's very little time to write new material (though have at it if you want to give it a go!) so feel free to rummage through your old files and pick out something that matches the following criteria:

* A run time of between 10 and 15 mins.
* Includes funny female characters. (Maximum cast is six, minimum is three - a good mix of male/female characters would be ideal).
* Can be performed "radio-style" with minimal stage directions.
* In PDF format.

Scripts currently in competition for the March 30th show at the Wardrobe Theatre are exempt.

We'll get the team to read each script at the meeting on Sunday 26th Feb at the Oxford pub (please feel free to come along), and we'll vote on which one we'd like to perform at the Richmond.

(In the sad event that no scripts are sent in, or none are suitable, I'll pull a classic Sitcom Trials script from the archives and we'll perform that.)

A few things -

- If your script has been entered into a past Trials (or any other competition), it's perfectly fine to send it in for the Richmond show.

- Cliffhangers are fine, no worries if your script has one or not (we'll perform the whole thing anyway).

- Please spread the word about "The Secret Comedians" and come along to the show on Thurs March 1st, Richmond pub, Clifton, Bristol.

- We'll hopefully be videoing the performance, but that's not guaranteed.

Basically, this is just a little warm up for the Bristol Team as we prepare for the Wardrobe show (Fri March 30th - tickets on sale now from the Wardrobe Theatre: http://thewardrobetheatre.com/#/sitcom-trials/4559558932).

Please send all scripts to: Vince Stadon (stadonclan@hotmail.com) by midnight Saturday 25th Feb.

Kind regards,

--Vince

Just wanted to say how I'm enjoying reading the uploaded scripts. I didn't expect my attention to be held all the way to the end on some, but based on what I've read so far I don't see the reading and rating of the episodes being the chore I thought it would be. Nice! :)

So what happened at this latest Sitcom Trials meeting? Do you have some scripts chosen? Tell us all, especially those of us who are in Australia and feeling well out of the loop! :)

Ok, I'm happy now, that's my last draft of There's been a Murder uploaded to the files folder.

Deadline day is today :)

is deadline for entries midnight?

Quote: cedardude @ February 29 2012, 6:26 PM GMT

is deadline for entries midnight?

Yes it is.

Quote: Mr Ashdown @ February 29 2012, 7:18 PM GMT

Yes it is.

cheers