Maid Marian and Her Merry Men

Not long bought this on DVD.

First watched it when they had a Christmas special in 1993 'Much, The Mini-mart Managers Son' and played it 3 times a day for 2 weeks until my mum had enough and banned it.

Came in a bit late as the last series went out a few months later in 1994, I was gutted and hungry for more. Didn't get any until around 2001 when they repeated it on BBC1. Finally 17 years later I've managed to see the ones I missed, was like being 10 again, haven't laughed so much in ages.

Don't quite know where it fits, sitcom, comedy, spoof, kids show?

It could easily be shown today and still get a wide audience on a Saturday or Sunday in the early evening, beats some of the crap they show arrows down.

A sitcom, a fantastic one, and one I'm utterly shocked doesn't already have its own thread. There's just nothing not to like about this show.

Did you get the new slim complete box set, or the older, bigger one with the cartoon mini-comics inside?

Best known as The Only Other Thing Baldrick's Been In and The Only Other Thing Cat's Been In.

It was brilliant a sort of Junior Black Adder with songs and some surprisingly well thought out episodes, good jokes and strong characters. Very much Tony Robinson's break out piece.

Doubting God ok.

Doubting meat sort of ok.

Doubting Maid Marian, Murphy I do worry about you...

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ November 4 2011, 9:02 AM GMT

Best known as The Only Other Thing Baldrick's Been In and The Only Other Thing Cat's Been In.

Cat's in Murder in Paradise at the moment.

As for the only other thing Baldrick's been in, I remember his Saturday morning things-Blood and Honey and the Greek myths. And most people would say he was in Time Team (despite not acting). I think he was in Hot Metal as well. And the Young Ones.

And Play Away.

Thanks to this thread I've now learnt that New Zealand TV's policy of showing the first series of something and abandoning it for no good reason started decades earlier than I thought...there were FOUR series? I feel like someone's just nicked part of my childhood from me!

And The Worst Jobs In History.

Such a great series, and a really good cast as well. Loved Danny John Jules in this as Barrington.

Quote: Trabs @ November 4 2011, 10:19 AM GMT

Loved Danny John Jules in this as Barrington.

As far as 1980s kid-friendly rappers go, he was right up there with Antony Carmichael.

EDIT: I accidentally wrote "rapers".

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ November 4 2011, 12:05 PM GMT

As far as 1980s kid-friendly rappers go, he was right up there with Antony Carmichael.

EDIT: I accidentally wrote "rapers".

Of which would be more appropriate of his Red Dwarf cast mate, Craig Charles.*

*Joke. He was found innocent.

This was amazing, my absolute favourite show of my childhood. They should so show it again in any time slot to any audience

I used to really enjoy this show too. Although I don't remember much about it.

Quote: Tim Azure @ November 4 2011, 9:41 AM GMT

I remember his Saturday morning things-Blood and Honey and the Greek myths.

God. Finally, I've found someone who remembers Blood and Honey! I'd love to see that again.

Quote: Tim Azure @ November 4 2011, 9:41 AM GMT

I think he was in Hot Metal as well.

Not Hot Metal, but Big Top, Blue Heaven, Doctor In Charge, and a few other bits and pieces.

Quote: Aaron @ November 4 2011, 4:21 AM GMT

A sitcom, a fantastic one, and one I'm utterly shocked doesn't already have its own thread. There's just nothing not to like about this show.

Did you get the new slim complete box set, or the older, bigger one with the cartoon mini-comics inside?

The newer one. I missed the first edition, it had been deleted before I could get it.