Comedians who studied Ancient Greek or Classics

Hi, I'm a sixth form student doing an Extended Project Qualification on the similarities between Ancient Greek comic plays and modern comedy, and am being hounded by my teacher to ask some comedians what they think about it. Does anyone know who would be good to contact? I'm aware that Natalie Haynes and Alex Horne fit my description, but anyone else? Or just generally clever people who might know about this kinda thing. THANKYOU!

I think you would be advised to look at the structure of ancient Greek comedies and those used in modern sitcoms. The use of acts etc.

The Young ones had the line - Euripides trousers Eumenedes trousers if that helps? And please for God's sake don't mention The Frogs - not after the recent World Cup!
Good luck with your essay.

And of course many music hall comedians asked: what's a Greek urn?

About 3 drachma a week.

In terms of fictional characters Sir Humphrey from Yes Minister studied classics.

There was an excellent Goon Show called The Histories of Pliny the Elder, one of the best lines being:
Bloodnok: You know that saying, 'Caesar's wife is above suspicion'?
Seagoon: Yes?
Bloodnok: Well, I've put an end to all that nonsense!

Another being:

Seagoon: But we are English-type slaves too, would you care to join us?
Hannibal: Why? Are you coming apart?
Seagoon: What's the year?
Hannibal: 49 BC
Seagoon: That proves how old that gag is!

More on topic, you could cite this supposed Greek ancestor of Python's dead parrot: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7725079.stm

" a funny thing happened on the way to the forum" the line by the Vain glorious Roman general returning goes "..I AM a parade!" which I saw a writer claim was a line straight from Aristophanes (i might have the name wrong though.... )
Correction its says here http://darron.hubpages.com/hub/Roman-Comedy-Still-Funny. it was Plautus...

Hello people,i like the sense of your humour!!!
Yes, it's true. We Greeks are very lazy and why should we pay taxes? With these salaries and prices rising up...No way! And how can we be expected to work all day, in the heat of our beautiful summers.

But is not only this!
I remember once when I was doing internship in Belgium my two colleagues were chating behind my back every time I was going to get some coffee...

"Look at Nick again, he's always wandering...or maybe he's going somewhere..."

Yes we love coffee and pholosophy!!!Life is short and Greeks know that!

I'm sorry, is there something wrong with you?

Lynn Truss wrote a radio sitcom Acropolis Now set in Socrates Athens, if that helps. But As Marc says I think the question is more about structure and characterisation.

Here is the guide about it https://www.comedy.co.uk/radio/acropolis_now/

Quote: Nick1 @ December 22 2011, 8:12 PM GMT

Hello people,i like the sense of your humour!!!
Yes, it's true. We Greeks are very lazy and why should we pay taxes? With these salaries and prices rising up...No way! And how can we be expected to work all day, in the heat of our beautiful summers.

But is not only this!
I remember once when I was doing internship in Belgium my two colleagues were chating behind my back every time I was going to get some coffee...

"Look at Nick again, he's always wandering...or maybe he's going somewhere..."

Yes we love coffee and pholosophy!!!Life is short and Greeks know that!

Genius bit of jazz typing.

Wave Hello Nick, introduce yourself! (you should know all about Greece)

They invented gayness.

Quote: Kirsty H @ November 1 2011, 3:19 PM GMT

Hi, I'm a sixth form student doing an Extended Project Qualification on the similarities between Ancient Greek comic plays and modern comedy, and am being hounded by my teacher to ask some comedians what they think about it. Does anyone know who would be good to contact? I'm aware that Natalie Haynes and Alex Horne fit my description, but anyone else? Or just generally clever people who might know about this kinda thing. THANKYOU!

Hey Kirsty!

I know that Katherine Parkinson studied Classics (not really a comedian, though!).