Have I Got News For You - Series 42 Page 3

Quote: zooo @ October 24 2011, 12:57 AM BST

There was a photo going around of the huge queue outside Starbucks with people making the exact point she was, which is presumably what she was referencing. I guess none of the other panellists had seen it so just assumed she was going off on one about coffee.

I hadn't seen it, either. Perhaps you have a link? I've now found this Mail article (I'd prefer any other source):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2049722/Occupy-London-St-Pauls-protest-camp-includes-extra-Downton-Abbey.html

"Scores of people, some of whom were protesting against capitalism, wait in line for toilets and refreshments at a central London branch of global chain Starbucks"

Even the Mail doesn't claim they were all protesters in that queue, and the queue there is only, what, 25 people long? Personally, I don't believe anything The Mail prints anyway; I fully expect that they would pay a bunch of passers-by to queue up there for the sake of a photo. These are the people who gave us fake interviews when Amanda Knox was "found guilty".

And where are these "very fancy tents" she mentions? They look like very modest tents to me.

Many of the people in that queue could be journalists, and I'd rather protesters used that loo than pissed on St. Pauls

Mensch's point was excellent.

If you're against capitalism, you don't buy from Starbucks and you sure as f**k don't own an iPhone.

Hislop's point was also good.

If you're just protesting against the thieving f**kers in the City, buying a coffee is acceptable.

I've got no clue where I saw the photo now. :( But it wasn't that one.

Quote: Nogget @ October 24 2011, 6:31 AM BST

"Scores of people, some of whom were protesting against capitalism, wait in line for toilets and refreshments at a central London branch of global chain Starbucks"

They were queuing to use the toilets.

Shitting in the corptocracies lavies and wiping your arse on it's soft bogroll.

Is the very model of asking the corpocrats to kiss your arse.

Again a silly point, made by a silly person.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ October 24 2011, 10:16 AM BST

Mensch's point was excellent.

If you're against capitalism, you don't buy from Starbucks and you sure as f**k don't own an iPhone.

If you are against corporate hegemony and infavour of revoloution then you use every tool at your disposal.

Especially those your hated foe invented.

Aps, Blackberry messaging, social networking are all valid tools.

As are using Starbucks as a safe free space to plan your revoloution and their crappers when your camp hasn't got chemical loos installed yet.

Controlling access to toilets is a powerful tool for any government.

Quote: Nogget @ October 24 2011, 6:31 AM BST

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2049722/Occupy-London-St-Pauls-protest-camp-includes-extra-Downton-Abbey.html

Also the very presence of smelly hippies buying one filter coffee and hogging the comfy seats is an excellent way of chasing away tourists and corprocats who buy panninis, lattes, muffins and other ridiculously over priced tat.

Yes, and we really want to chase tourists away from St Paul's. Bloody good work there. That'll learn them pesky tourists!

It's a bit of a disaster.

It's costing St Pauls £20,000 a day. Which is enough for them to be in real trouble.

Typical protestors like myopic marksman they always hit the wrong target.

Why ARE they there? And not in front of a bank? I don't understand.

They wanted to be in front of the stock exchange, but that's on private land and they weren't allowed into the square in front of it. So they settled just a little further away, outside St Paul's.

Ah.
That'll teach the stock exchange...

It's definitely a mistake for them to stay at St Pauls. Any message they might have is in danger of being much less interesting than the inconvenience they're causing.

Quote: Aaron @ October 24 2011, 1:20 PM BST

They wanted to be in front of the stock exchange, but that's on private land and they weren't allowed into the square in front of it. So they settled just a little further away, outside St Paul's.

The bishop of St Paul's gave them permission.

The silly arse.

But haven't they now been asked to move, and refused? And that's why it's been shut?

Meaning that as well as tourists not being able to contribute money to the economy through one of the most popular attractions, the hundreds of people employed there also can't go to work. Brilliant way to help your fellow struggling citizens

The annoying thing is there is a desperate need for an alternative voice in politics these days.

Against the Lib,Lab,Con hegemony. And wasting time on these silly attention seeking stunts helps no one.

Quote: AJGO @ October 24 2011, 2:24 PM BST

But haven't they now been asked to move, and refused? And that's why it's been shut?

Meaning that as well as tourists not being able to contribute money to the economy through one of the most popular attractions, the hundreds of people employed there also can't go to work. Brilliant way to help your fellow struggling citizens

Yep.

Protestors in not-being-helpful shock horror.