The most underrated comedy of all time? Page 3

Comedy drama play would be The Fishing Party from the 70s. Nuts In May still gets shown and talked about but the earlier TFP was just as off beat and funny. The 70s was fantastic for one off gems like these.

Sitcom wise, Still Game seems peculiarly absent from the screen and as a result, the top sitcom lists. Ever Decreasing Circles I'll agree with, and I think The New Statesman is undervalued as is The Brittas Empire among others.

I'd say Asylum; given the enduring popularity of Spaced, I'm surprised that this earlier collaboration of Simon Pegg and Jessica Stevenson doesn't receive more attention. In my opinion, the play directed by Julian Barratt's character is the best comedy nativity to have been broadcast.

Quote: Elevin @ October 2 2011, 9:21 PM BST

I'd say Asylum; given the enduring popularity of Spaced, I'm surprised that this earlier collaboration of Simon Pegg and Jessica Stevenson doesn't receive more attention. In my opinion, the play directed by Julian Barratt's character is the best comedy nativity to have been broadcast.

I imagine few have seen it, outside of a few clips. I haven't, anyway.

I have! It's ace.
I seeked it out during my Julian Barratt obsession days.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 2 2011, 9:34 PM BST

I imagine few have seen it, outside of a few clips.

Possible.
It's actually available to view in its entirety on Norman Lovett's site.

I'm probably the only person who thinks that Outside Edge was overrated despite the delicious acting. Richard Harris' scripts were unispired and he seemed unable to be able to deliver a joke on TV e.g. Godfrey Evans stuck in the lavatory.*
I've played cricket since I was 10 and when OE first appeared I thought this is what I've been waiting for, but sadly not.
I'm also probably the only person who thinks Richard Briers is overrated as a comedy actor; in fact I think he's terrible!

* Maybe lavatory jokes are really difficult to write for TV. The pre-wedding version in Gavin and Stacey just dragged on without any redeeming wit that I can remember.
The only succesful one I can recollect is the long running version in Happy Days.

Jam by Chris Morris.

Quote: Don Kiddle @ October 7 2011, 8:06 PM BST

* Maybe lavatory jokes are really difficult to write for TV.

The only succesful one I can recollect is the long running version in Happy Days.

Sick

Not seen either mentioned yet but I think both Game On and Time Gentlemen Please are both very underrated.

Quote: RW Kingdon @ October 16 2011, 6:11 PM GMT

Not seen either mentioned yet but I think both Game On and Time Gentlemen Please are both very underrated.

Both excellent but I go for 'Colin's Sandwich'.

Green Wing.

Barney Miller

Soap (I know it was big, but it seems very forgotten & overlooked now)

15 Storeys High

Quote: Peter Brouhaha @ November 3 2011, 5:00 PM GMT

15 Storeys High

The swan killing episode was fantastic. I cried!

I don't know about 'of all time' but World of Pub deserved better....

(As did End of Part One if we are doing sketch shows as well)

I'm not going to make any '..of all time' claims, that would be mental, but I did laugh quite a lot at an episode of The Brittas Empire this morning.