The most underrated comedy of all time? Page 16

Can an actor be drawn?

I fully agree with the suggestions for Coupling, Early Doors, Game On, How Not To Live Your Life and Becker. Added to which

Respectable - just one 6 part series on C5 about a man in a loveless marriage (Justin Edwards) who forms a platonic relationship with a prostitute at the local brothel (Jodi Albert in basque and stockings :) )

Plus One - a single 5 part show about a bloke's efforts to find someone to take to his ex's upcoming marriage to 'Duncan from Blue'. Similar in style to Peep Show and Inbetweeners.

Toast of London - probably a bit better known now but still not getting the ratings it deserves

That Mitchell & Webb Look Wave

Quote: longtime firstime @ 18th May 2015, 5:22 PM BST

The excellent 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid' film was on the telly the other day and this lead us on to a conversation about Adrian Mole. Perhaps not THE most underrated comedy of all time but definitely one that doesn't get the retrospecitve nostalgic credit it deserves.

I said we should let the kids watch it but after viewing its pretty filthy first couple of episodes on YouTube I think we'll wait a while until they're old enough to understand the importance of the Norwegian Leather Export industry and what Mr Lucas is up to with Adrian's mum.

The creep.

Well worth a re-visit and I wonder why it's never really been picked up by one of the Gold channels for another go around.

I watched the two Thames TV adaptations on YouTube last year and they're still brilliant. Great Ian Dury theme tune too.

Early Doors / Game On

Men Behaving Badly, although had its fair share of plaudits in the 1990's, definitely doesn't get next to any attention or focus like other older comedies do. You would say it is a dated comedy, but I disagree.

Has Rob Brydon's Anually Retentive been mentioned? Absolutely love it, hilarious and Sharon Horgan steals every scene. Director's Commentary too. Not seen Brydon's Supernova yet, is that any good?

The Walshes - I thought it was brilliant. Such a shame there were only 3 episodes.

Typical off the wall from Graham Linehan. :D

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 15th November 2015, 10:30 AM GMT

Has Rob Brydon's Anually Retentive been mentioned? Absolutely love it, hilarious and Sharon Horgan steals every scene. Director's Commentary too. Not seen Brydon's Supernova yet, is that any good?

I liked Annually Retentive. I loved Director's Commentary but I think just not enough people watched it. Also, I think he over estimated the amount of people who actually listen to DVD commentaries (I always do). It was also on ITV which doesn't help. It probably would have worked better on C4 or BBC4.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th November 2015, 11:18 AM GMT

The Walshes - I thought it was brilliant. Such a shame there were only 3 episodes.

Typical off the wall from Graham Linehan. :D

Somebody has uploaded the three episodes to YouTube, so I have downloaded them to burn to disc. :)

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 15th November 2015, 5:09 PM GMT

I liked Annually Retentive. I loved Director's Commentary but I think just not enough people watched it. Also, I think he over estimated the amount of people who actually listen to DVD commentaries (I always do). It was also on ITV which doesn't help. It probably would have worked better on C4 or BBC4.

I liked those both too.

"You leave this court today without a stain on your character."

Help. Yes, a very funny and at times warm comedy. I would posit 'I Am Not An Animal' as a forgotten classic. Peter Baynham was involved in the writing. It's a cartoon with a sort of cut and paste animation. Steve Coogan does a few of the voices. It recounts the story of a group of talking middle-class animals, the result of an experiment gone wrong, who escape and make their own way in life. Phillip Masterson-Bowie; the horse novelist, Glen Belt, a right wing sparrow. Hilarious.

Possibly not underrated as its had quite a run of series but now never mentioned or replayed is Rab C. Nesbitt. The philosophical drunk and waster.
He should have replaced Paxman.

Nathan Barley is pretty underrated. The best thing Nicholas Burns has done.

Quote: Woozie @ 2nd February 2016, 9:06 PM GMT

Nathan Barley is pretty underrated.

In the words of Oscar Wilde, too f**king right, it's f**king awesome.

Donald Trump is underrated. In my opinion he is the hottest comedian around now