Cricklewood Greats

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14310252

This could be good. Enjoyed Capaldi's work behind the camera when he was directing Getting On.

I guess we'll have a better sense of it once some of the actors' names are attached.

This sort of thing is right up my avenue so I'll be looking forward to it airing. Sounds like it knows what it's about but I'll be very critical if I can't recognise the 'greats' it's sending up and there are a lot to send up here. Hope they get the balance right between mock and umentary, as it's a tricky form to pull off, I think.

PS What's going on? I thought BBC Four had stopped making new comedies. ?

Cricklewood seems to given the world a lot of comedy, Alan Coren came from Cricklewood, and the Goodies famously gave their address(es) as "No Fixed Abode, Cricklewood".

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ July 30 2011, 6:22 AM BST

I'll be very critical if I can't recognise the 'greats' it's sending up and there are a lot to send up here.

I'm not sure that the characters are going to be based on real people. Apart from Gilliam.

Quote: Tim Azure @ July 30 2011, 2:04 PM BST

Cricklewood seems to given the world a lot of comedy, Alan Coren came from Cricklewood, and the Goodies famously gave their address(es) as "No Fixed Abode, Cricklewood".

It's also where Ken Livingstone lives.

Quote: Aaron @ July 30 2011, 2:15 PM BST

I'm not sure that the characters are going to be based on real people. Apart from Gilliam.

I'm sure they'll be missing a trick if it isn't, though. I'm also waiting to see how much is 'borrowed' from the excellent stand up thing John Sessions did on British films. If the thing manages not to cover old comedy ground then it'll be doing very well indeed. Personally I think that'll be impossible with this subject. We'll see.

Very much looking forward to this, tonight.

Ooh, thanks for reminder!

Is this going to along the lines of Norbert Smith: A Life, the very funny Harry Enfield mock-doc from years ago, which sent up Great British Acting/Films?

I do hope so.

Ed Byrne, Paul Sinha and Steve Hughes were raving about this on Ed's Radio 4 Extra show, looking forward to seeing it as Peter Capaldi can pretty much do no wrong in my eyes.

Really enjoyed that. They should make Dr. Worm

Excellent stuff, very funny indeed.

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 5 2012, 2:42 PM GMT

Is this going to along the lines of Norbert Smith: A Life, the very funny Harry Enfield mock-doc from years ago, which sent up Great British Acting/Films?

Hmmm...

In advance I though it sounded too much like Norbert Smith to even get made. As it happens it wasn't much like Norbert Smith at all, because it turned out to be a flat, laugh-light effort covering the same things in a fairly ropey and cack-handed way. The anachrocistic background music was either a bad joke about documentaries or a complete misunderstanding of the output of British film studios. Either way it didn't work for a mockumentary.

Terry Gilliam may be many wonderful things, but he ain't a convincing actor.

Please everyone, seek out Norbert Smith: a Life instead.

Also I'm very confused that this was described as a pilot in tonight's BBC4 introduction, as there isn't an obvious place for it to go as a series.

I loved it. Would like to see more of this type of comedy to be honest.

Strange show, started half way through and took me 10 minutes to get it was a piss take.

At times just to close to what it was mocking.

The Up Yours stuff was as funny as Carry On, as were the Trufault stuff so why bother?

Other times deliciously subtle. Such as the 70s crime caper film and the racist fan showing were the star commited suicide.

Over all good stuff.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ February 6 2012, 9:20 AM GMT

I loved it. Would like to see more of this type of comedy to be honest.

Me too, I thought it was very good.

The "pull back and reveal" to show Wickes made me properly laugh out loud even though I was expecting something like that to happen.

Some lovely lines too, Peter Capaldi has obviously been taking writing lessons from Armando Iannucci.