Comedy you want to like, but don't Page 4

Quote: Vader @ July 6 2011, 12:35 AM BST

Why would I want to like something I don't like? I might wish something was funnier that I otherwise liked, but that's it.

Everything about Friends seems pretty average in my book, apart from its popularity of course.

I didn't like Friends when it first started, so I can understand why someone wouldn't be a fan. But if you never give it a chance, you may be really missing out. Even more enjoyable now the hype behind it and Jennfer Aniston's hair has calmed down.

I've never changed the way I feel about a sitcom as drastically as I have with Friends. I used to sit watching it, thinking it was really good and consistently funny, but now I find it really annoying (especially Phoebe!).

Yeah, I used to like it, but it all seems so mediocre at best now.

I suppose it's the amount of laughs jokes get, when you can now see the punchline coming time and time again...

Quote: chipolata @ July 5 2011, 11:17 PM BST

Seth Rogen comedies. They're okay but I just can't get that excited about them.

Superbad was good (he co-wrote), though obviously he's not one of the leads.

Has anyone seen that Seth Rogen film, in which he plays an obsessed Star Trek fan? It looks pretty good. I saw a clip of it on YouTube.

Oh, and of course Freaks And Geeks, witch Rogen was in, is one of the best TV shows ever, ever. Though I suppose it's not really 'Rogen Comedy'.

Count Arthur Strong. Listened to it, wondering what all the fuss was about and it was an annoying old man falling over his words far too much to be amusing, interrupting some plot that had potential.

Then everyone told me it takes a while to get into and to tune in but, three series plus later, it is still an annoying old man falling over his words too much to be amusing, interrupting some plot that had potential.

Dan

Yep had heard a lot about Count Arthur Strong but I found it almost unlistenable.

I sometimes struggle to like Mitchell & Webbas much as I want to, but then they do a sublime sketch that makes it all worthwhile.

You have quite the impressive list of good shows that you don't much like Timbo.

Mitchell & Webb sketch shows! Oh my God, they should be excellent. But, but, I have rarely raised a smile when watching their sketches. It frustrates me so much because the humour and directions they take with it are right up my street. But it just doesn't work for me, at all.

Disappointed by Simon Pegg's last film Paul, love his other work (except the Bottom movie but that ain't his fault!)... As for hit'n'miss sketch shows I thought of Absolutely - the hits were so excellent they made up for the weaker moments.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 6 2011, 11:36 AM BST

You have quite the impressive list of good shows that you don't much like Timbo.

You should beat him up. Or get beaten up trying to beat him up.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 6 2011, 11:36 AM BST

I could go on...

But that is kind of the point of the thread, to name the shows that you do not appreciate as much as you feel perhaps you should (and to that extent the comments on Miranda are of course misplaced.)

On the other hand I am often sympathetic to failure and there is not much I dismiss out of hand (okay, Miranda...)

But what I am really looking for in comedy (and indeed drama) is to be transported; I do not want to be consciously analysing whether or not I am enjoying it.

Quote: Vader @ July 6 2011, 3:15 PM BST

You should beat him up. Or get beaten up trying to beat him up.

You really are quite odd.

Fawlty Towers.