Stewart Lee Page 29

And here's the lecture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrXVaytvJtQ#at=54

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ July 24 2013, 2:58 PM BST

And here's the lecture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrXVaytvJtQ#at=54

Dan

That's a fascinating little talk by Stew.

Has anyone seen the new alter-ego Stew's created, called Baconface, yet?

Quote: Phoenix Lazarus @ August 14 2013, 6:39 PM BST

Has anyone seen the new alter-ego Stew's created, called Baconface, yet?

He walked off after 5 minutes recently.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/correspondents/2013/08/13/18471/baconface_leaves_a_bad_taste

Either he's really taking the whole Tony Clifton rip-off to the next level or the money and fame are getting to him....

Saw his warm up show last night 09/11/2015) anyone know what the music was in the first intermission ?
Really funky, sounded like The Fall possibly (?)
I tried Google Track ID but it didn't know it.

Anyhow great tune, and very interesting 3 and a half hours, nearly (with two intermissions) by young Mr Lee.

If it was the same music he played on the 6th it wasn't the Fall, but whatever it was it was too loud. It's no wonder Stew is deaf.

3 and a half hours! You lucky f**ker. He did 90 minutes on the Friday. Admittedly there was a second house (the execrable Pam Ann), but it felt unbalanced and short.

I wouldn't call it interesting - it was funny and sharp as a sword made out of knives. Years of performing and a gargantuan talent make Lee unassailable live. Hopefully most of what he did will end up in his fourth TV series.

Just got tickets for his Content Provider show, can't wait.

I saw it earlier this year when he toured it, you are in for a treat and a half (plus I am very tempted to see it again). Also turns out he's not quite as smug and self satisfied in person (much as I'd have liked to talk about comedy, he picked up on the band on my t-shirt and we had a good discussion, might have been my best experience of meeting a comedian so far!)

Excellent, not sure I'll get to meet him but maybe if I wear a Motorhead T-Shirt or something (not sure what bands he likes actually, could backfire))

Well if it helps I wore a Thin Lizzy shirt and it turns out he knows someone who knew Phil Lynott so there you go! I have to admit I was tempted to go full ironic mode and try to track down a Franklin Ajaye T-Shirt but I thought that might be too 'fan'-ish and it might get awkward.

I'd wear a Van der Graaf Generator t shirt. That'd grab his attention. Wish he was doing the fringe this year. I hope he'll at least be in town so I can gawk at him from the streets. He seems like a friendly enough chap, if you like somewhat grumpy, but well-spoken and intelligent, pretentious guys...which I do. Does anyone know what he's officially doing in August? Any chances he'll do a surprise gig or two in Edinburgh? That would make my life.

Quote: Davida @ 6th July 2017, 11:38 PM

I'd wear a Van der Graaf Generator t shirt. That'd grab his attention. Wish he was doing the fringe this year. I hope he'll at least be in town so I can gawk at him from the streets. He seems like a friendly enough chap, if you like somewhat grumpy, but well-spoken and intelligent, pretentious guys...which I do. Does anyone know what he's officially doing in August? Any chances he'll do a surprise gig or two in Edinburgh? That would make my life.

He's actually one of the most amicable comics I've met, the pretentious persona is just that, he just seems like a regular bloke (albeit one who is far, far more intelligent than I). According to his site, he has no gigs August so he might just be taking a break, or who knows, he might go to Edinburgh just to watch some acts, after all he's almost as big a comedy geek as we are!

That's my bet. I seem to remember him saying somewhere at some point that even if he's not dong a run he still takes a month out to go the the fringe to see what's new and see old friends or whatever. I think he is technically pretentious, I mean I totally get that his persona is its own thing, but he as a person has taste in things that could be considered pretentious, but I think it's earned pretension, if that makes sense. He's allowed to like free jazz and all that. I had particularly pretentious music taste in high school and I've read some of his album reviews on his website and his year end lists of what he's bought etc. and he likes a lot of stuff that I like that probably most people haven't heard of. I think he's accepted more mainstream stuff into his life in recent years, as have I. But there's still that high concept artsy fartsy side.

Going to see tonight!

Quote: Lee Henman @ 25th February 2008, 4:20 PM

Stewart Lee scares the bejasus out of me. He has this really intimidating, almost aggressive intelligence coupled with devastating wit that makes all around him look like gibbering neanderthal f**kwits.

Jeez, almost 10 years since this quote but I think this sums him up well.

I saw him last night, having seen the same show in my hometown about eight months ago - I laughed even more yesterday! Little improv bits that were so smoothly inserted he slid into a bit about how everything was written, his anger fuelled by a woman seemingly going to sleep on the front row! Bought a few bits afterwards (my collection of Stew's merchandise is almost complete) and had a brief but all the same interesting chat with him about Edinburgh and seeing Kevin McAleer after he recommended it. Not only one of the best stand ups - top bloke too.