Stewart Lee Page 25

Quote: swerytd @ March 13 2012, 10:57 AM GMT

Is this true!?

Dan

How else would I have got the picture? Think it through, Dan.

http://sgfringe.com/2012/07/07/stewart-lee/

Moderately entertaining interview.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ July 9 2012, 4:58 PM BST

http://sgfringe.com/2012/07/07/stewart-lee/

Moderately entertaining interview.

Yes it was moderately entertaining. He did stupidly fall into the 'gay marriage' trap.

'I'm an atheist, I hate all religion, except when gay people want to get married and then religion is great and should be respected.'

They did restrict the question to Church of England only, so at least he won't be targeted by armed extremists for his views on letting homosexuals tie the knot, the big wuss-bag.

Surely just because he is an atheist doesn't mean he hates all religion? He has spoken about the slight difference between his stage persona and his real persona. Maybe his stage persona hates religion, I doubt he really does though. He married a Catholic, didn't? I doubt he'd marry a Catholic if he hated Catholics.

Quote: Barcy Dussell @ July 10 2012, 9:50 PM BST

Maybe his stage persona hates religion

Then maybe his stage persona should slag off marriage both gay and straight or maybe his real life persona should categorically state that the Catholic, Jewish and Islamic religions should embrace gay marriage fully. But he won't, he knows which side of his fair trade, gluten free, organically grown, free of GM wheat, halal prepared, rustic stone milled, Guardian flavoured bread is buttered.

I'm subtlely implying that he is jumping on a liberal bandwagon to placate his stereotypically right on, left leaning trendy audience. And at the same time, he is also a cowardly custard because he will only challenge the very weak and safe target of the Church of England. Woah, what a dangerously rebellious comic.

Weirdly, I'm a big Stewart Lee fan, so I feel guilty slagging him off. All I really want for him to do is to have the courage of his convictions and get blown up by religious nutters a little bit. Is that too much to ask?

Yes.

I think he's said before the reason he doesn't do Islamic jokes is because he simply knows f**k all about their culture. The only thing we get from the media is "EVIL BEARDED MEN WANT TO BLOW UP YOUR HOUSE!" And if you're going to base an entire religion from that then it'll mostly end up at the usual bullying, under-researched shit you normally get from people who do that kind of comedy.

Quote: Monster Scum Bag @ July 11 2012, 11:12 PM BST

I think he's said before the reason he doesn't do Islamic jokes is because he simply knows f**k all about their culture.

How can he know nothing about their culture? He lives in Hackney. I used to live in Hackney and I know loads about Islamic culture. Surely a well read, Oxford educated, celebrated writer, comedian and columnist would know more then f**k all about a religious culture with nearly 4 million members in the UK alone?

Are you seriously telling me that Stewart Lee knows more about Top Gear and Chris Moyles then one of the world's biggest religions?

Perhaps he could watch Four Lions or ring up Stephen Fry and ask him.

I suppose if he persistently fails to mock Muslims, it does make him, for want of a better term, an "inverted racist." But as long as it's funny, I don't care.

Quote: Monster Scum Bag @ July 11 2012, 11:12 PM BST

I think he's said before the reason he doesn't do Islamic jokes is because he simply knows f**k all about their culture.

That's not true. He said he doesn't do Islamic jokes (despite people like Jan Moir saying he's a coward for not doing so) because the general British public know f**k all about their culture, and that comedy is about having reference points (and that's why we laugh at jokes about Christianity, because it's part of our culture). He then went on to tell some Islamic jokes he had written as proof of this, where about 5 members of the audience laugh. It's all part of his last show, Carpet Remnant World.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ July 11 2012, 10:50 PM BST

All I really want for him to do is-

-what I want him to!

Well, I thought the tax investigation thing was a funny line. That's really what I was getting at!

Dan

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ July 11 2012, 11:24 PM BST

How can he know nothing about their culture? He lives in Hackney. I used to live in Hackney and I know loads about Islamic culture. Surely a well read, Oxford educated, celebrated writer, comedian and columnist would know more then f**k all about a religious culture with nearly 4 million members in the UK alone?

Are you seriously telling me that Stewart Lee knows more about Top Gear and Chris Moyles then one of the world's biggest religions?

Perhaps he could watch Four Lions or ring up Stephen Fry and ask him.

Well, I'm assuming you'd only know about Islam at Oxford if you studied it otherwise probably not much. And yeah I guess he could ask Chris Morris but I think he's dropped religion form his act generally anyway.

Quote: Garry Lee @ July 12 2012, 7:39 AM BST

because the general British public know f**k all about their culture, and that comedy is about having reference points

That might be his excuse, but it's a weak excuse. Mad muslim cleric Stewart Lee has done loads of jokes about really obscure topics, so obscure that he has to spend a good deal of his act explaining what they are to an audience.

He even looks to camera and repeated says: 'The television audience at home won't even get this joke, only a handful of people in this room will appreciate it...'

So, like, whatever and shit.

Stew moaning about the fringe. He's quite funny doing this, though sometimes I think I'm missing the point... http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2012/jul/30/stewart-lee-slow-death-edinburgh-fringe

In the interests of balance, here's a rebuttal. The balance not only being the point, but not nearly as funnily put as Stew does above: http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2012/aug/16/stewart-lee-edinburgh-fringe?newsfeed=true

Dan