Radio Rejects Ken Dodd

This is the original Doddy sketch that was unsuccessful for NJ and I sent to Radio Rejects:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/post/740986/

Here is the version I did after being asked to expand on the Doddyisms that was performed by RR last night (am not sure if they edited any). As usual all comments welcome:

Interviewer
Measuring happiness is like taking a peek at the bloke stood next to you at the urinals. Do you measure from their perspective or yours, and do you take into account any baggage. David Cameron recently announced that all Government policies would be tested for their effect on people's wellbeing. With us is new Happiness Policy advisor, Ken Dodd. Welcome Ken.

Dodd
How tickled I am to be here missus. in this lovely venue, this amphitheatre of mirth, as recently featured on Morgues Under The Hammer.

Interviewer
With all that's going on in the world there can't be much to laugh about with current foreign policy?

Dodd
What a great day, what a great day for running up to William Hague while he's eating his boiled egg, smearing his eyes with Libyan butter and shouting 'Watch where you're putting your soldiers'.

Interviewer
(Dismissive) Surely the economy is no laughing matter?

Dodd
What a beautiful day, what a beautiful day for bursting in to George Osborne's bathroom, laughing at the size of his reserve, sticking a butt plug in his deficit and shouting 'Let's see yer budget'

Interviewer
(Getting frustrated) Shouldn't we be looking at the effect politician's behaviour in the public spotlight has on the nations wellbeing?

Dodd
By Jove you're right missus. What a wonderful day, what a wonderful day for taking Anne Widdecombe dancing, loosening her knicker elastic before she bends over and shouting 'now that's what I call a Super Moon'.

Interviewer
Surely policies to encourage retail growth, allowing consumers to spend with confidence should be looked at first.

Dodd
How right you are missus. What a beautiful day, what a beautiful day for bursting into Anne Summers with a pair of eunuch shoplifters and shouting 'That's what I call crotchless nickers'. (Fading off) Tatty-bye everybody, Tatty bye.

Interviewer
Thank you Ken Dodd. In tomorrow's program we'll be speaking to the government's new diversity and culturally awareness policy advisor (beat) Jim Davidson.

Loved it. I hope the Doddy impression was up to the job!

Cheers RJ. It was audio recorded by Afinkawan but his equipment was on the blink so the recording isn't good quality. Am still looking forward to hearing it get performed though.

Good stuff Will
& a sterling effort with the funny Doddyisms

For a moment I thought this thread was going to reveal why Ken Dodd isn't on the wireless nowadays.

Anyway - I'm pretty sure this is the version performed, Will, and as I said it was a cracker. Much stronger for focussing on the Doddyisms.

Cheers Steve

Thanks Badge - your comments on the original post said to make it more 'Doddy'so you can have a consultancy credit :P

Well done Will. Nice one.

Some great Doddyisms there. They remind me of an actual one he told on stage just after he had been done for not paying tax:

--- What a lovely day, what a lovely day for throwing a stone through the Inland Revenue's window and shouting, 'get blood out of that you bastards!' ---

Def.

Quote: Deferenz @ April 13 2011, 1:42 AM BST

Some great Doddyisms there. They remind me of an actual one he told on stage just after he had been done for not paying tax:

--- What a lovely day, what a lovely day for throwing a stone through the Inland Revenue's window and shouting, 'get blood out of that you bastards!' ---

Def.

Cheers Def, I am a huge fan of Doddy and his Doddyisms but my favourite Doddy joke is:

Ken Dodd died last night

Did he?

No Doddy.

I get my missus with that one at least twice a year.

The one I always remember is, "What a beautiful day, what a beautiful day for running into an antiques shop and asking, 'What's new?'"

Good sketch BTW :)

Quote: Will Cam @ April 7 2011, 11:16 PM BST

Cheers RJ. It was audio recorded by Afinkawan but his equipment was on the blink so the recording isn't good quality. Am still looking forward to hearing it get performed though.

I've sent you the link to the recording of your sketch.

For the record, my gadget appears to be working fine, it was connecting it to the Albany's mixing desk which seems to have caused the problem!

Good, Will.

Quote: Will Cam @ April 13 2011, 1:09 PM BST

Cheers Def, I am a huge fan of Doddy and his Doddyisms but my favourite Doddy joke is:

Ken Dodd died last night

Did he?

No Doddy.

I get my missus with that one at least twice a year.

Ha, ha... I like that. Another good Doddy related item was a tongue twister. For the life of me I cannot remember where I first heard it but it asks if you knew that...

'Ken Dodds Dads Dog's Dead'?

Def.

Excellent

Just for completeness here is the recording of this sketch that Afinkawan kindly sent me.

(From Afinkawan in the RR thread:

"It should be pointed out that, as I was recording through the Albany's sound desk, it was only picking up the mics so the only laughter coming through was the odd bits loud enough to register on the cast microphones.

So any laughter you can hear over the actors was quite big laughter."

It's the first time I have ever had anyone speak wot I wrote (my other previous sketch on a Radio Rejects show wasn't taped), so the quality of the recording makes no difference to me :D

Thanks again Afinkawan

http://www.afinkawan.co.uk/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/happinesspolicy.mp3