ITV Show Me The Funny Auditions

So,

Did anyone enter this? Have you heard back from the audition team yet?

#justinterested

FJ

Didn't enter because I had a bit of a negative vibe from it... I thought that knowing me, I could quite feasably damange my potential career a hell of a lot more than I could help it! But that's because I'm a negative nelly.

I'm just starting out and am at the stage where I've got some material but am looking for a chance to try it out.
I did look at applying for this, and still might, but the fact that the deadline seems a bit loose - they say "send something in within the week if you can" - worries me a bit.
Not sure if I will send in a tape and then for some reason the series doesn't happen. Would I then have wasted my limited and quite precious material? What do people think, isn't it the norm to have a strict closing date for these things?

Yes it is. But this isn't a normal comp. I honestly think it will take a certain type of comic with a few years of experience to pull this off.

Most new act competitions, especially the televised ones, are really for acts with a couple of years experience.

There's nothing to stop you from entering if you are really, really new but I would say that unless you are supremely confident it's not a good idea to enter these things until you've had a bit of experience of the circuit and are fairly confident on stage.

A bad experience early on could well put you off doing stand up for life, or at the very least set you back a bit and don't forget that "bad auditions" make "good TV" (see "X Factor", "Pop Idol", etc), so don't think that if you mess up it won't be broadcast, once you've signed the forms, that's it, you no longer have any control over it.

And talent doesn't come into it. Know a few people who've tried the X factor route who have brilliant voices, can dance, look good, a few years of pro work and equity cards. They didn't get past the second round. Not enough backstory and not gullible enough to be moulded.

What Tony said.

I think you're right guys, it's not for me. Thinking about it, I would never enter the X Factor because I know full well I can't sing. For all I know I might not be funny either, so it might be better if I tried to find out first, maybe! I've got quite a bit of stage and public speaking because of the career path I followed until recently, but that doesn't make me a stand up comic, so I think I'll leave this one for the experts! Thanks for the advice, I knew joining this forum was a good idea!

Good decision. Try to get some stage time in a supportive environment for your first gig, then just perform and write as much as possible.

Yeah, I didn't get through but a couple of other comedians that I know did. one of them had to go on first at the audition, no warm up, no compere, and surprisingly enough no atmosphere. He described the experience as "lovely". I'll let you decide on which tone of voice should be used for that adjective.

EEP.

Sorta glad I didn't make the deadline now!

Not a comedian, but I was in the live audience tonight for their first recorded show. It was dead boring, I couldn't laugh except for one act. The organizer of the show and moderator didnt make it better, a lot of their jokes and the comedians' ones tried to gain capital and laughs through bedroom jokes below the waist-line, it was rather appalling. It was so bad I only hope I won't be shown on telly for that show.

I sent in my application before the deadline but have never heard anything back, but from what I've heard and now seen the ads for this. I'm glad I didnt as it looks like everyone is being ripped apart on stage!

I've seen the first episode, and it's certainly not flattering to the participants who didn't do well. I'm not sure how many people would want to go up for a second series - but then, people go year after year for the channel's other talent shows, after having known what they're like and how people are portrayed.

But then, with editing and all, there's no way of knowing if there was anything flattering they could show...