Hattie

Rather disappointing. This drama in which, some scenes were created or changed, did not show how good a comedy actor Hattie Jacques really was. Recreating some unfunny scenes from a Carry on film did not benefit her.
As for Ruth Jones, I can't give an answer to her performance for the above reasons.

I don't think that showing endless scenes of her as Hattie acting in films would have helped. Then you start judging her ability as an impressionist, picking holes in how scenes are reconstructed rather than celebrating her acting ability. The Cabby scenes were incredibly well done. If you want to see what a great comic actress Hattie then don't rely on Ruth Jones mugging for the cameras, there are DVDs aplenty out there somewhere. If you can't find a Sykes box set then Carry On Cabby is a great film to watch her in. A star for once in a series that undervalued her talents, dominating the films as a postive assertive role model amid a long run of dreary nags and battleaxes. Carry On Abroad was her last hurrah really.

Robert Bathurst as Le Mesurier was exceptional. Ruth Jones started sounding a bit Welsh here and there and only sporadically convinced as Hattie. Aidan Turner didn't have much to do apart from sound like an am dram Artful Dodger and take his top off while looking horny. Still it displayed a rare and wonderful attention to detail and I guess was a rollicking good yarn if you haven't read countless comedy biogs over the years and knew ever twist and turn of the plot. It wasn't overly sensational or intrusive in the way that Fantabulosa or Cor Blimey were. I think it delivered a neat well executed story of passion and intrigue.

I'm pretty sick and tired of these comedy biopics, frankly. They only really seem to exist in order for current comedians to show they can "do drama".

If they have to keep doing them, then could they at least do Charles Hawtrey? If only so we can have the scene where naked and wig-less alcoholic Hawtrey gets carried from his house by a fireman, having set fire to it whilst in bed with a rent boy.

Anyone have the number for Mathew Horne's agent? (For the part of the rent boy.) :)

Quote: Tim Walker @ January 21 2011, 12:25 AM GMT

I'm pretty sick and tired of these comedy biopics, frankly. They only really seem to exist in order for current comedians to show they can "do drama".

If they have to keep doing them, then could they at least do Charles Hawtrey? If only so we can have the scene where naked and wig-less alcoholic Hawtrey gets carried from his house by a fireman, having set fire to it whilst in bed with a rent boy.

Anyone have the number for Mathew Horne's agent? (For the part of the rent boy.) :)

Lovey I so sgree!

Pleased OH dear, think I meant Aidan Turner?
Enjoyed the programme. Ruth Jones was excellent, better actress than comedienne in my opinion.

Didn't see it. Is it on iPlayer? I'd love to see Ruth playing her. Also, the thread reminds me of a rumour that someone once told me that she used to eat her own poo. (Hattie, not Ruth)

Quote: Lee Henman @ January 21 2011, 9:13 AM GMT

Didn't see it. Is it on iPlayer? I'd love to see Ruth playing her. Also, the thread reminds me of a rumour that someone once told me that she used to eat her own poo. (Hattie, not Ruth)

Have a look below Lee ;)

Quote: dellas @ January 21 2011, 2:38 AM GMT

*better actress than comedienne in my opinion.

When has she been a comedienne? Writing a sitcom doesn't make you a comedian, it makes you a writer.

Quote: Marc P @ January 21 2011, 9:23 AM GMT

Have a look below Lee ;)

Aha!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 21 2011, 9:37 AM GMT

When has she been a comedienne? Writing a sitcom doesn't make you a comedian, it makes you a writer.

:| Sorry Matthew, I meant she plays a lot of comedy roles on TV.
Didn't realise Ruth Jones was a comedy writer.

I thought this was poor, in fact dull as dishwater, turned off after twenty minutes.

There are only so many glasses of wiskey you can see one couple making in 20 minutes.

I haven't got around to watching this yet (I opted for Brand's Buzzcocks episode instead), but have just read that it got record viewing figures for BBC4.

Not seen this yet, so I don't know how Ruth Jones got on, but watching the real Hattie on Sykes it struck me that the lovely Katy Wix would have been wonderful casting as the lead.

The reason Eric & Ernie worked and this didn't, was because it was made out of an affection for them as comedians. You learnt nothing about what made Hattie funny, so what then was the point? The scenes from the making of Carry on Cabbie served as a reminder of what great comediennes Hattie and Esma Cannon were but only out of a recollection of how superior the original performances were.

Quote: Timbo @ January 23 2011, 7:53 PM GMT

You learnt nothing about what made Hattie funny, so what then was the point?

It's the story of a love triangle, not the story of what made Hattie funny. I enjoyed it.

Quote: Lee Henman @ January 21 2011, 9:13 AM GMT

Laughing out loud Is 'someone' your son?

As for Hattie, it was very clinical in doing its job of portraying - albeit with a few liberties - the story of the affair, and nothing besides. Interesting to see the story played out, but at the same time, overall really a bit dull.