General, General Thread Page 2,713

I wrote a blog about the BBC Genome project yesterday as I love it so much http://curiousbritishtelly.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/bbc-genome-radio-times-archive.html?m=0

Your blog is a cracking read and I look forward to delving deeper later. I was able to discover, via the RT archive, that Arthur Negus was on presenter duties in the sublimely-sounding 'Collectors' World' on BBC2 on the very evening of my birth. I bet my Mother would have enjoyed it if she'd had access to a TV in the maternity ward; shame she almost certainly didn't.

Teh fook

Yes, I believe the chocolate apple was made up to the Second World War or something like that.

That looks like a very good project.

I especially liked the way they got in a reference to Switzerland:

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/

This is interesting . .

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20141016-your-life-on-earth?intc_type=promo&intc_location=orb_promo_footer&intc_campaign=bbcearth_promo&intc_linkname=footer_yourlifeonearth

David Attenborough's explanation as to why he is agnostic.

"My response is that when Creationists talk about God creating every individual species as a separate act, they always instance hummingbirds, or orchids, sunflowers and beautiful things.

But I tend to think instead of a parasitic worm that is boring through the eye of a boy sitting on the bank of a river in West Africa, [a worm] that's going to make him blind.

And [I ask them], 'Are you telling me that the God you believe in, who you also say is an all-merciful God, who cares for each one of us individually, are you saying that God created this worm that can live in no other way than in an innocent child's eyeball? Because that doesn't seem to me to coincide with a God who's full of mercy."

Ahhh, but God works in mysterious ways...

HIS wonders to perform...

But I didn't realise it was "wonder" as in

I WONDER why the hell He did that!

I agree wholeheartedly with the question of why, if there is such a merciful God, does he allow such inhumanity, cruelty etc . to carry on unabated, BUT...........

On one of David Attenborough's progs. many years ago ("The Private Life of Plants"?) he was on top of a flat rock plateau somewhere in South America I think it was and he was eulogising about how the Pitcher plant, unable to take any form of nutrient from its barren surroundings, adapted itself to become insectivorous.

I always thought it was a flower that caught these insects, but apparently it is an adapted leaf, that has (1) formed itself into a waterproof "trumpet" (2) gives off an aroma to attract insects (3) developed an internal slippery surface, along with downward pointing hairs (4) developed a liquid in the bottom that digests prey and (5) to cap it all (!) created for itself a nice little hat :D presumably to keep out the rain.

Now given that this has taken millions of years to develop, just how did this plant survive all that time before it became the ingenious plant that it is today? There was no nutrient in the ground and when it was just a run of the mill plant with "standard" leaves, how did it feed itself?

This is a very sophisticated plant system that all came from an adapted leave - can't see how it did it.

Well it wasn't f**king God.

(No offence to the dude.)

Quote: zooo @ 22nd October 2014, 4:47 PM BST

Well it wasn't f**king God.

(No offence to the dude.)

Thank you for your insightful reply. Laughing out loud

(I don't think He will be offended, but just in case, I think a visit to a religious establishment might not go amiss) - just in case....... Angelic

Dear God,

Soz, just in case.

Me.
x

I know why you don't like Him - 'cos he got rid of the dinosaurs. :P

That bloody selfish bastard.