General, General Thread Page 2,703

I don't believe anybody can abolish poverty. It's relative to general standards. But how the Hell have we reached the stage where food banks are necessary? It's bloody incredible when we're supposedly a rich nation. Shameful.

I totally agree - the need for foodbanks is a national disgrace. But I don't see how throwing Scotland into more economic uncertainty will help.

As I said - leap of faith that things will duly sort themselves out for the better. Each side gives the opposite tale, always backed by (opposing) statistics.

Quote: keewik @ 20th July 2014, 10:42 PM BST

I don't believe anybody can abolish poverty. It's relative to general standards. But how the Hell have we reached the stage where food banks are necessary? It's bloody incredible when we're supposedly a rich nation. Shameful.

Yes of course, but what's.the SNP solution? They already set tax levels and most of your government spending. With independence what will they actually do.differently?

Can't believe any Labour MP - they'll be out of jobs with independence. Can't believe any Labour MSP - they'll be fighting they're comrades ex MPs for positions in the new parliament. So they all have personal axes to grind.

Quote: sootyj @ 20th July 2014, 10:51 PM BST

Yes of course, but what's.the SNP solution? They already set tax levels and most of your government spending. With independence what will they actually do.differently?

Apparently they'll have different funds - e.g. (dare I say it) the oil which bitch Thatcher squandered.

Quote: Jennie @ 20th July 2014, 10:45 PM BST

I totally agree - the need for foodbanks is a national disgrace. But I don't see how throwing Scotland into more economic uncertainty will help.

I'm.not so sure the welfare.budget is in the hundreds of billions
As it should be and I'm glad it is

But not.everyone is.there because they're broke.
Some people wouldnt need them if.they could.just break mobile phone.contracts.etc when they lose.their jobs

Quote: keewik @ 20th July 2014, 10:53 PM BST

Can't believe any Labour MP - they'll be out of jobs with independence. Can't believe any Labour MSP - they'll be fighting they're comrades ex MPs for positions in the new parliament. So they all have personal axes to grind.

Apparently they'll have different funds - e.g. (dare I say it) the oil which bitch Thatcher squandered.

Theres not much left assuming the sea lanes don't give it to tje.English and.oil money brings little happiness historically

And, by the way, we won't be paying exorbitant amounts for offensive nuclear weapons for which we'll no longer be the dumping ground.

Defence has always been a.dead.herring.like foreign aid it's.a.very small amount

[quote name="sootyj" post="1081166" date="20th July 2014, 10:56 PM
Theres not much left assuming the sea lanes don't give it to tje.English and.oil money brings little happiness historically
[/quote]
Don't think the Scandinavians would agree. They handled it more sensibly.

Quote: sootyj @ 20th July 2014, 11:01 PM BST

Defence has always been a.dead.herring.like foreign aid it's.a.very small amount

A huge amount for a small country, but I know people who intend to vote Yes purely to get rid of nuclear weapons. How would you feel if they were sited on the Thames?

Fine there used to be.nukes.all over.the south of.England in the 80s.that's silly

Ypu might want to ask.the SNP.exactly.how much their diddy defence force is.going to.cost

I mean maybe independence is the best thing, I genuinely don't know

But this hand wringing, something must be done school.of.politics scares me.

'Used to be' - but we still have them in spite of protests from the 60s.
Not hand-wringing ... In fact the negative campaigners are universally agreed to be the No's. However my view is that although I'll vote Yes, I think it will be No, and I'll get on with life without shedding tears. No offence, but I think people in London don't really know how the rest of Britain lives.

That's an awfully sad statement

I know. :(

How could anyone resist?

Is there a decimal point missing?

Sigh I miss me old Smethwick pub, the shit

With its 1 pound pie and chips and 1 pound lager