Monty Python is dreadful

The following is an opinion on perhaps the most overrated show to ever grace British TV...

I have a group of colleagues who never stop quoting Monty Python (which is pitiful in itself). They are obsessed with the show/movies and constatntly tell me I'm 'sad' for not liking it.

Here's the thing: I've watched Python when it used to be on all the time on British TV. I even watched the spin-off films too. They just aren't funny. Not one bit.

I watched Life of Brian and Holy Grail and almost fell asleep because they bored me to tears. I've noticed one thing with the Python team: they try too hard to be funny. As a result, the 'comedic' deliveries look forced and unnatural, and, therefore, not humourous at all.

Genuinely funny comedy (British) would be the likes of The Office, Blackadder or Only Fools and Horses. These have good writing, excellent delivery and are sheer brilliance.

The only reason people like Python is because they're trying to impress their friends that they have 'sophisticated' wit (aka 'I don't find the sketches funny but I'll pretend to because that means I'm cool, right?').

I can't think why anyone would find Life of Brian or Holy Grail funny and it is disgraceful these films are listed in the imdb top 250. Then again, the list has films like Kick Ass and Inception amongst the 'greatest' films so it's hardly surprising a lot of weak movies make the list.

Anyone who claims to enjoy Python, in my opinion, only does so in a pathetic effort to impress their peers. Which is disgraceful.

The same could be said about The Office. I enjoy both 'Office and 'Python however. So your rule doesn't work.

The idea that people watch anything due to peer pressure is ridiculous. In the comfort of your own home, with the remote control in your hand, who chooses to watch something they don't like?

Yeah, what have the Pythons ever given us?

Quote: Badge @ December 11 2010, 3:49 PM GMT

Quote: Griff @ December 11 2010, 4:05 PM GMT

I see. Well, do you want to have just one argument, or were you thinking of taking a course?

Laughing out loud

Wow, what a stupid thread! Wave

Quote: Griff @ December 11 2010, 4:05 PM GMT

I see. Well, do you want to have just one argument, or were you thinking of taking a course?

Of strong pyscotropic enemas?

Rather than repeat myself I'll just say http://www.chortle.co.uk/correspondents/2007/12/12/6149/in_praise_of_python

Quote: Badge @ December 11 2010, 3:49 PM GMT

How about a bunch of useful idiots who can't stop spouting pretentious quotations for a start?

And btw, the 'humour' in your comment might go down well with Life of Brian lovers, but for people of intellect, it won't wash I'm afraid.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 11 2010, 4:57 PM GMT

Wow, what a stupid thread! Wave

What a short (and dimwitted) comment.

Quote: MrIntelligent2 Dude @ December 11 2010, 5:33 PM GMT

How about a bunch of useful idiots who can't stop spouting pretentious quotations for a start?

It's not a quotation, it's a very naughty adaptation of one.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/18886/

Quote: Badge @ December 11 2010, 5:44 PM GMT

It's not a quotation, it's a very naughty adaptation of one.

You used the word Pythons instead of Romans. How original (not)!

Quote: MrIntelligent2 Dude @ December 11 2010, 5:49 PM GMT

How original (not)!

Don't tell me - Wayne's World?

Quote: Badge @ December 11 2010, 5:51 PM GMT

Don't tell me - Wayne's World?

Yawn.

Wayne's World is a fun, charming movie. Charming being the performance by Mike Myers.

Quote: MrIntelligent2 Dude @ December 11 2010, 5:55 PM GMT

I've used 'not' at the end of a sentance before that dreadful film came out. Let me guess, you loved it right?

I haven't seen it.