Round The Horne Page 2

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 26 2010, 8:43 AM GMT

:) Was that Kenneth Williams?

It was indeed.

A man happily unfamiliar with posset-based pleasures.

Playing this the other day, I do love a bit of Syd:

Beyond Our Ken/Round The Horne is easily some of the funniest stuff ever recorded.

I went to see the Round the Horne stage show some years back and it was also great.

Superior to any radio comedies on now!

Has anybody else read Born Brilliant? It is truly an exceptionally rare and remarkable book that I would recommend to any British comedy fan.

Most of the Rambling Syd songs were also released on two EPs, a green one below and volume two, exactly the same but red, and a record which I still need to take a shot of:

There are a few Julian and Sandy & Round the Horne records as well but again you know, the old excuses and that, I need a good source of natural sunlight and a bit of spare time to take photos. Not this perpetual sodding twilight! Instead I can only offer this from the inspirational Merriman scripted precursor show:

And if you're really good you can listen to The Ballad of the Royal Scottish Pretender (Posselwaite Lament) :

http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/royal-scottish-pretender-kenneth-williams

As promised, volume 2, the red one:

And yes... it's exactly the same as the green one, only it's red. Sigh.

There was an hour or two of sunlight breaking through the gloom at the weekend so I finally took some photos of my Round the Horne records:

An absolutely brilliant series made possible by an excellent team of writers including Barry Took, Marty Feldman and Johnnie Mortimer who later went on to write 'Man about the House', 'Never the Twain', 'Robin's Nest' and 'George and Mildred'.

Quote: Griff @ February 14 2011, 11:27 AM GMT

These record covers (and the ones you post on the Comedy Records thread) are brilliant Agnes. Do keep them coming.

Happy to share!

I'd like to see more of Lady Counterblast, nee Clissold and her butler Spasm. Shame she was only in the first series. It was all Master Spy and Armpit Theatre after that.

Kenneth Williams played a character called J Peasemould Grundfuttock in Round The Horne. I am sure this character inspired Andrew Marshall and David Renwick to create Eric Pode Of Croydon for their cult Radio 4 series The Burkiss Way, as he is very similar. A cross between J Peasemould and William "Mate" Cobblers of The Goons.

Quote: Eric Pode @ January 29 2013, 8:39 PM GMT

Kenneth Williams played a character called J Peasemould Grundfuttock in Round The Horne. I am sure this character inspired Andrew Marshall and David Renwick to create Eric Pode Of Croydon for their cult Radio 4 series The Burkiss Way, as he is very similar. A cross between J Peasemould and William "Mate" Cobblers of The Goons.

Funny, I thought Eric Pode was a real person...

Gruntfuttock may have been caused by the marriage between the Grunts and the Futtocks, or from Harold Pinter's caretaker tramp character.

Does anyone agree that the RTH character Seamus Android sounds - loosely - like the late Terry Wogan. I am a bit intrigued by the similarity because in 1967 when the penultimate series of RTH was broadcast Wogan was only 30 and he may not have presented outside Ireland at that time. I would welcome further relevant information.

Eamonn Andrews is the origin of Seamus Android; he used to have non-sequiturs like "talking of Tibetan sheep herding" and such like. Seamus's guests always seemed to be Felix Alymer (Williams) and Zsa Zsa Gabor.