Joan Rivers

I was quite surprised that there wasn't a thread already for this amazing lady.

At 77 Joan is as sharp, cutting and funny as ever. She's been in the biz for years, had some personal problems but still comes out fighting.

I watched her 'A work in Progress' recently and have the so much respect for her. Who knows where her career could've gone if Johnny Carson hadn't ruined her chances at NBC?

I was surprised to find her doing the voice for a C3PO style lady robot when I watched a bit of the film Spaceballs yesterday.

Quote: AngieBaby @ November 15 2010, 10:38 PM GMT

I watched her 'A work in Progress' recently and have the so much respect for her. Who knows where her career could've gone if Johnny Carson hadn't ruined her chances at NBC?

Ooh, what did he do?

Joan was his side-kick for years, then got offered her own talk show, Carson felt it was a betrayal and never spoke to her again and got her blacklisted from NBC. Her new show flopped, and her husband committed suicide as a result. She's had a bit of a crap life, and doesn't get the recognition she deserves. I think we're kinder to her over here than they are in the US.

Ooh, Carson sounds like a right petty old bugger.

I never knew any of that. I knew her husband committed suicide.

So I guess he's not one of her bossom buddies then.

I can't argue with her fearlessness or her gagcraft.

Quote: Chappers @ November 15 2010, 11:07 PM GMT

So I guess he's not one of her bossom buddies then.

Johnny Carson died almost 6 years ago.

Quote: DaButt @ November 16 2010, 12:25 AM GMT

Johnny Carson died almost 6 years ago.

And your point is?

He's dead.

Quote: Chappers @ November 16 2010, 1:12 AM GMT

And your point is?

By speaking of him in the present tense I assumed you thought he was still alive.

Quote: DaButt @ November 16 2010, 1:17 AM GMT

By speaking of him in the present tense I assumed you thought he was still alive.

Actually I had no idea.

I'd seen him a couple of times on TV but couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

Quote: Chappers @ November 16 2010, 1:21 AM GMT

I'd seen him a couple of times on TV but couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

He was the quintessential talk show host and ruled the late night shows for 30 years.

Carson actually looked a lot like Rivers would've looked, if she'd been a man.

Actually, Rivers has got two shows on at the moment. I think one is a bit like MTV's 'Cribs', called 'How did you get so rich?', and the other one is just some bitch-fest, where she sits around with Kelly Osbourne and others, criticising celebs for their dress-sense. Oh, and she pops up with Mel Brooks, every now and then, in some Irish cartoon about a pig, called 'Jakers', in which she voices a sheep.

Quote: DaButt @ November 16 2010, 1:32 AM GMT

He was the quintessential talk show host and ruled the late night shows for 30 years.

What - like Jonathan Ross you mean but nowhere near as good.

Isn't it Carson whom Larry David always impersonates, on 'Curb Your Enthusiasm'? You know that funny voice he always does?