Sherlock Page 7

Plotwise it probably wasn't the greatest in terms of intricacy etc, but it was a pilot and had a lot to do introducing characters and relationships etc.

Quote: Aaron @ July 26 2010, 12:22 PM BST

It's sootyj vs the rest of the universe.

Hm, this has been pretty raved about, from what I can tell.

What Sootyj vs the rest of the Universe?

Too bloody right I'm being played by Muhammed himself.

Quote: sootyj @ July 26 2010, 12:06 PM BST

Sometimes the BBC produces such utter tripe that I welcome its demise.

This may be the only programme to be improved by having Captain Jack as the Phantom bummer of Old London Town.

But the BBC shows Top Gear at the same time as Sherlock, so we can all giggle at Jeremy Clarkson's 70s playground jokes about bummers and benders.

Quote: sootyj @ July 26 2010, 12:06 PM BST

Sometimes the BBC produces such utter tripe that I welcome its demise.

Rolling eyes

Quote: youngian @ July 26 2010, 1:14 PM BST

But the BBC shows Top Gear at the same time as Sherlock, so we can all giggle at Jeremy Clarkson's 70s playground jokes about bummers and benders.

Erm, wasn't "Top Gear" on at 8pm, before "Sherlock", or did I discover time travel last night?

Watson shot someone (which never happened in any of the books).

They've deviated from the original stories?! The swines!

Overall: quite enjoyed it; probably the best detective show since Nick Berry's Harbour Lights.

Quote: don rushmore @ July 26 2010, 1:21 PM BST

probably the best detective show since Nick Berry's Harbour Lights.

I can see that emblazoned across the DVD cover.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ July 26 2010, 1:15 PM BST

Erm, wasn't "Top Gear" on at 8pm, before "Sherlock", or did I discover time travel last night?

Yes I watched both. The high powered post modern wit of Top Gear, combined with it's Larkinesque comfort with concepts of mortality. Shielded me from the worst bits of Holmes. Right upto that stupid bit with the stupid patches.

Quote: sootyj @ July 26 2010, 1:22 PM BST

Right upto that stupid bit with the stupid patches.

You are just getting totally weird about this show now. I wonder, if you watch next week, whether you'll start eating your own feet?

It was daft joke ignoring the essential darkness of the character.

Holmes is an iconic literary figure, a MacBeth or a Nun's Priest.

By all means mock and satirise. But don't reduce him to some pathetic post modern joke, reflecting dreary modern sensibilities cobbled together with the contents of the Dr Who bin.

Quote: sootyj @ July 26 2010, 1:35 PM BST

Weren't they alluding to a past addiction though?

In a deeply round about sort of way.

Quote: sootyj @ July 26 2010, 1:35 PM BST

Um. It didn't, it made it quite clear he was a potentially disturbing character; even putting the solving of a mystery for his own peace of mind over more potential victims. That's pretty dark.

In the Night Garden must terrify you,.