The Missing Minister for Men?

I like to believe that people are good. I like to think that no-one in a douche. I guess it's just naive of me to assume that if people post a job offering in gumtree.com they actually plan to make it happen. This was sadly not the case this time...

Did anyone of you notice an ad on gumtree.com a couple of months ago "Comedy Group Writers wanted"? Basically it was an ad saying they want to create material for a stand-up comedian who could do a whole set about gender issues, not just one or two jokes and then move on. I actually thought it would be a good idea, although a bit challenging, but applied anyways. "They" (or he, might have been only one guy) asked us to answer some questions in a comedic way, first it was a series of sayings I needed to end, then it was answering in 20 words to questions about key gender issues. I did my best and what do you know they sent me an email saying I was accepted into the group. I was thrilled thinking "YES! Finally I got something fun to do when I move to London!"

And there it seems, I was caught looking at the world through my innocent blue eyes.

They sent me a message asking my phone number so we could arrange a meeting. I answered saying I'd write them that number as soon as I came to UK and got one. After that I didn't get any answer from them before I arrived. I thought "Okay, maybe they're just waiting now." So I messaged them again this time giving my number. No reply. The problem with this was I didn't have any other way of contacting them except email. So I messaged again and again, asking what's the deal. No reply. So finally I snapped and messaged them (now a week ago) saying that this is unprofessional behavior and I for one won't wait any longer.

The plan of this group would've been to manufacture a "Missing Minister for Men", the world's number 1 men's rights activist. Funny idea, I thought. How they presented their whole idea and plan was very convincing so it feels quite sad nothing came out of this. And most of all I have a feeling this whole thing was just a clever ruse. (Now before you all find the Clever Ruse O RLY owl pic please, spare me as I've seen it a thousand times already ;) )

So does anyone of you perhaps know this guy called Tom Martin? I'm just curious, maybe someone here has heard of him, maybe he even lurks around in the forums.

Has anything like this ever happened to you guys?

Hmm. By the lack of replies to this post it must mean I'm the only blue-eyed, naive person on this forum. >.<

Look on the bright side you haven't lost any money or anything, you've just been messed about a bit... Where were you before coming to the UK?

Quote: Nick Flanagan @ June 10 2010, 2:35 PM BST

Hmm. By the lack of replies to this post it must mean I'm the only blue-eyed, naive person on this forum. >.<

My brain gave up before the end of the second paragraph. Too long-winded!

Quote: chipolata @ June 10 2010, 2:45 PM BST

Look on the bright side you haven't lost any money or anything, you've just been messed about a bit... Where were you before coming to the UK?

Yeah it certainly is a bright side. I'll just have to see if my material ends up making people laugh somewhere and catch the culprit.

I am coming from Finland where I've lived whole my life before this. (With the exception of 3 months in London when I was 4 and 6 months in Lithuania when I was 24.)

Hey Nick,

sorry to hear about your experience, sounds like your good nature was taken advantage of. Fortunatley now you're in London and there are lots of comedy outfits looking for contributors. Immerse yourself in the scene, make lots of contacts and friends and I'm sure you'll find a rewarding portal for your material.

Keep at it, and good luck.

Quote: Nick Flanagan @ June 10 2010, 3:58 PM BST

. I'll just have to see if my material ends up making people laugh somewhere and catch the culprit.

Never apologise for your comedy.... if you want to do it as a pro like.

Quote: Marc P @ June 10 2010, 10:41 PM BST

Never apologise for your comedy....

I don't know, Marc, have you looked at Critique lately?

Quote: chipolata @ June 10 2010, 10:46 PM BST

I don't know, Marc, have you looked at Critique lately?

Marc has put his Funny where is mouth is though.
I wouldn't mind seeing some Chip magic in Critique someday.
:D

I don't understand this thread.

Thank you.

I'm still wondering how you made all those women cry.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ June 10 2010, 10:55 PM BST

Marc has put his Funny where is mouth is though. I wouldn't mind seeing some Chip magic in Critique someday. :D

I have too many enemies! They'd flay me alive!

Get someone else to post it for you!

Quote: zooo @ June 10 2010, 11:03 PM BST

I'm still wondering how you made all those women cry.

They saw me naked. And then realised they could never have me.

Teehee.