Ricky Gervais - The Invention of Acting - Badly Page 3

Quote: chipolata @ April 13 2010, 1:23 PM BST

The pictures is too expensive nowadays. And the people in there with you won't effing shut up!

Bloody people! The past couple of times I've been to the fillums it's been fine 'cause I've gone to nice, sophisticated arthousey type cinemas, the type you tend to get up That London.

Quote: zooo @ April 13 2010, 1:12 PM BST

Mark Gatiss has written the Dalek episode. Nothing wrong with his writing!

No problem with Gatiss, who was actually quite an obvious choice to write for the series; it is Richard Curtis and Simon Nye who raised eyebrows. Good to hear Neil Gaiman has been approached though.

Back to Gervais, I think people have different views about what "good acting" is. For me it isn't all about the range of roles that someone can play, but whether they convince and add to the parts they play. Some of Gervais's acting - in The Office in particular - is top notch in my book. No, I'm not going to ask him to play Hamlet - he doesn't have the range - but to say he's not a good actor on that basis is like saying Ella Fitzgerald wasn't a good singer because she never did opera.

Jolly well said, Badge!

Quote: Badge @ April 14 2010, 2:12 AM BST

Back to Gervais, I think people have different views about what "good acting" is. For me it isn't all about the range of roles that someone can play, but whether they convince and add to the parts they play. Some of Gervais's acting - in The Office in particular - is top notch in my book. No, I'm not going to ask him to play Hamlet - he doesn't have the range - but to say he's not a good actor on that basis is like saying Ella Fitzgerald wasn't a good singer because she never did opera.

Nicely put. :)

He might not be a great actor, but he's pretty good as a guitarist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft9LVWoLSwQ&NR=1

At the 2009 British comedy awards Jonathan Ross said "everybody in comedy has been Twittering, where you're restricted to 140 characters, which is 139 more than Ricky Gervais has ever done".

I think Ricky Gervais's genius is in his comedy timing, not his acting (which is hardly a criticism when the guy is a comedian). However, that being said I do think the guy has the potential to be a good actor. The scene at the end of series 2 of the Office demonstrates that to me as does this clip from Invention of Lying (warning: contains mild spoilers) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7TKxV5wwLA

But you know Ross is taking the piss because he's a mate.

Oh yeh, I know it wasn't a serious criticism, I just thought it was funny and relevant, and it's rare I can do both at the same time. Now all I need is to be able to do so with my own material rather than quoting and I should be set :D