Comedy Rocks

This sounds like an update of Friday/Saturday Night Live.

Live At The Apollo/Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow jumped to my mind!

Yes - but this has live bands too.

Well they do have to do SOMETHING to avoid lawsuits for stealing the format lock-stock-and-barrel.

But then I'm too young to know your old persons' *day Night Live programmes. ;)

It's always nice to see more stand up on TV, even if it was the same old material from Jo Brand. I must have heard the 'exercise' one several times now.

I can't make up my mind about Bishop, even with this and A League Of Their Own.

I enjoyed the ventriloquist and some of Manford's stuff.

Quote: Aaron @ March 26 2010, 10:09 PM GMT

Well they do have to do SOMETHING to avoid lawsuits for stealing the format lock-stock-and-barrel.

That's a moot point, as didn't the BBC steal Saturday Night Live from the Americans? I don't believe they paid a penny/dime for airing our own homebred version, did they? ?

Quote: Nil Putters @ March 26 2010, 10:10 PM GMT

It's always nice to see more stand up on TV, even if it was the same old material from Jo Brand. I enjoyed the ventriloquist and some of Manford's stuff.

Yeah, this show turned out to be much better than I was expecting and also far enough removed from Live At The Apollo etc to make it something unique.

If Jo Brand had brought some new material along (I too have heard that routine loads now), they'd cut out the songs, and Joe Pasquale delivered his gags with some conviction it'd been excellent across the board. As it was though, it was very promising and entertaining hour and I'd certainly welcome a full series.

Quote: Mark @ March 27 2010, 7:02 PM GMT

and if Joe Pasquale delivered his gags with some conviction

Yes, I thought he was flat.

I liked it...

I like the varied selection of stand ups, from the super cool to Jo Pasquale. As long as they don't let on people like Brian Connolly, or even Russell Howard or that Stephen Bishop again. I might have a sneak occasionally at this even though I'm not the biggest fan of stand up. Would like to see former stand ups like Alexi Sayle using it to springboard his career again (but not Ben Elton), so the show could be useful if they use it well. The host reminds me of a less animated Jimmy Tarbuck - if they could get him on it that would be great.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ March 27 2010, 11:05 PM GMT

Would like to see former stand ups like Alexi Sayle using it to springboard his career again

I think Alexei is more than happy with being a very well-respected and successful writer thesedays, so doesn't need his career springboard-ing. As far as stand-up goes, the man was one of the best (if not the best) of the pioneering generation of "alternative" comedians. He really doesn't have anything to prove to anyone and doesn't much seem to care for stand-up anymore, so why would he want to go back to it?

Jason Manford seemed very toned-down, ITV-family-friendly, stifled, and - ultimately - dull.

The ventriloquist was good, but far too short a spot. John Bishop was pretty good, and the less said about Jo Brand the better really.

I do like the variety-ish concept, but this particular programme didn't really work for me. ITV need to put their full weight into comedy again, or keep their noses out entirely.

Wasn't a bad show, Joe Pasquale shouldn't be given any credit for anything he does though because 70% of the material he does has already been written & done by other comics.

He stole a Skinner joke and a Carrot top gag in Comedy Rocks and got away with it. It's baaaad.
Why won't he just die?

Quote: RyanFryer @ April 2 2010, 10:01 PM BST

Wasn't a bad show, Joe Pasquale shouldn't be given any credit for anything he does though because 70% of the material he does has already been written & done by other comics.

He stole a Skinner joke and a Carrot top gag in Comedy Rocks and got away with it. It's baaaad.
Why won't he just die?

Any excuse to post this bit about Joe Pasquale by Stewart Lee once more... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YE9Kthyaco

Quote: Tim Walker @ April 2 2010, 10:05 PM BST

Any excuse to post this bit about Joe Pasquale by Stewart Lee once more... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YE9Kthyaco

Stewart lee is a legend & that is a great set.