A League Of Their Own

So this starts tonight (according to the lovely BCG).

I went to see this being filmed and I must say that the funniest bits were the bits they are probably not going to show on TV.

I arrived with a pretty bad view on Corden but left really liking him. He's very funny, enjoys laughing ALOT and interracted well with the crowd. I was lucky enough to be there when they had David Haye and Neil Morrissey on there. Mind you PHWOAR Freddie Flintoff (sorry I know that's not comedy related).

Anyway, I'd be interested to see how little of the two hours we saw filmed is actually shown, especially as it's Sky so will have adverts... long adverts.

I ain't got the right equipment for Sky. So I shan't be watching it. I do quite like old Corden. The only real blot on his copybook is the sketch show. He's a good, convincing comic actor. He's a guest in a later episode of the new Doctor Who series as well. Just needs to lay off the 'fat' jokes.

Ah, seems you went for episode 1 then Ellie. Here are my thoughts:

"After the first episode - featuring stand-up comic John Bishop and actor Neil Morrissey - we're really not convinced about the format. OK, we'll be the first to admit that we're not particular sports fans and so probably not really the show's target audience, but we felt that the sportsman-dominated panel showed: very few laughs, and little charm.

As always, a panel show is reliant largely on its guests, but without a narrative to uphold, Sky could have easily saved this episode until later on in the series if it's uncharacteristically humourless. We wait for episode two..."

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/a_league_of_their_own/

When was it on?

Isn't it just a rehash of They Think It's All Over?

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ March 12 2010, 10:30 PM GMT

When was it on?

Last night. Repeated 1 hour ago. Check listings for next one.

Quote: Chappers @ March 12 2010, 10:44 PM GMT

Isn't it just a rehash of They Think It's All Over?

A bit closer to A Question Of Sport.

Quote: Aaron @ March 12 2010, 11:03 PM GMT

Last night. Repeated 1 hour ago. Check listings for next one.

I was going to check the listings but I often prefer the almost human interaction of the BCG.

:P :D

Yeah but it's sports, and it's Sky1. Bleh.

I thought it was rubbish, I'd rather watch A Question of Sport or They Think It's All Over! any day.

Quote: Aaron @ March 12 2010, 10:30 PM GMT

Ah, seems you went for episode 1 then Ellie. Here are my thoughts:

"After the first episode - featuring stand-up comic John Bishop and actor Neil Morrissey - we're really not convinced about the format. OK, we'll be the first to admit that we're not particular sports fans and so probably not really the show's target audience, but we felt that the sportsman-dominated panel showed: very few laughs, and little charm.

As always, a panel show is reliant largely on its guests, but without a narrative to uphold, Sky could have easily saved this episode until later on in the series if it's uncharacteristically humourless. We wait for episode two..."

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/a_league_of_their_own/

I agree. But I don't think it's very sports heavy though. The questions aren't like Question of Sport, they're far more relaxed and to be honest, stupid. You would have seen the questions about "who's got more tattoos" for example.

Like I said, the funniest bits would have been the bits not shown on TV.

Quote: EllieJP @ March 15 2010, 11:30 AM GMT

Like I said, the funniest bits would have been the bits not shown on TV.

Like what? Did Corden make a pass at Flintoff or something?

Ha - no. It was just the way they all had a laugh with each other, but then they'd swear so it wouldn't be put in, or be so off topic that it wouldn't work.

I really enjoy this show but I can't stand Jack Whitehall who is now on every week. What an unfunny show-off twat he is. Talentless druggie toff. Oh, and a c**t for good measure.