Casanova '73

Anyone else seen this Galton & Simpson sitcom starring Leslie Phillips as a middle aged married man who can't keep his hands off other women? It debuted in 1973 in a peak time slot, yet the sexual nature of it saw it transfered to a later slot and in the original slot a programme was needed. So enter a new quiz show hosted by Magnus Magnusson called Mastermind. At the end of the series, Casanova '73 was axed whereas Mastermind lives on to be one of Britains most popular quiz shows.
Casanova for me wasn't politically correct, far from it, yet succeded in being a very funny piece of work. At present, I've only watched the first two episodes.

Yes, it's a very good series. In some places I think opportunities were missed for better gags, but on the whole it's good stuff and stands up pretty well alongside Galton and Simpson's more well-known work.

Where can you see it?

In the depths of my archive.

Quote: Aaron @ February 16 2010, 6:42 PM GMT

In the depths of my archive.

Blimey! How can you have stuff if it hasn't been released?

By knowing the right people! :)

Watched all the episodes now and was great fun.

Casanova '73 will be released by Acorn Media in October 2012. We'll release more details as and when we have them via our Facebook and Twitter accounts.

Many thanks

Steve

An interview with star Leslie Phillips is being filmed today. Looks like it's shaping up to be a really nice release.

I do recommend the show. It's not Galton & Simpson's finest work, but it's nevertheless a very entertaining series with some wonderful farce.

Had seen a couple of clips of this from 'The 1970s' on BBC2 last night. I am intrigued by this, especially as it stars Leslie Phillips. Hopefully I will get to watch it one day.

It's out on DVD in October, Stephen. :)

Quote: Stephen Ryder @ April 24 2012, 7:21 PM BST

Had seen a couple of clips of this from 'The 1970s' on BBC2 last night. I am intrigued by this, especially as it stars Leslie Phillips. Hopefully I will get to watch it one day.

Did I hear the presenter say that in 1973 the highest grossing film was Confessions of a Window Cleaner?

1974, but yes.

To add to your amazement: it wasn't released until 8th November.

The DVD of Casanova '73 is now available to pre-order via the Acorn UK website: http://www.acornmediauk.com/index.php/new/coming-soon/casanova-73.html

All seven episodes plus: Exclusive Leslie Phillips Interview, Galton & Simpson on Casanova '73, Cast Filmographies, Picture Gallery, Subtitles

As with all Acorn releases we tend to get our stock at least a few weeks (and more often than not, months) before release so although it has a release date of 8th October you'll get it earlier than that by ordering from us.

Happy viewing!

Quote: youngian @ April 24 2012, 10:40 PM BST

Did I hear the presenter say that in 1973 the highest grossing film was Confessions of a Window Cleaner?

Well for its time it was extremely rude - and funny.