Things that piss you off Page 1,666

Oh this wasn't an NHS worker, the woman who asked if I was autistic was a desk jockey at the Job Center who I had to go see about sorting claims

Quote: Sarc @ 14th April 2016, 6:02 PM BST

government health workers have pissed me off today.
Due to my unfortunate genes my health has been a tad poor over the last few years so as much as I wanted to keep working it was advised that I should have some time off work so as to recover properly for fear of making things worse and last month I had an assessment to see if I could finally go back. I arrived at the time stated with all the bumf I was asked to bring in (medical reports, medication etc etc) and first thing she said was "you don't look sick", not quite sure what I was supposed to say there, I wasn't aware that you had to look sick to have an illness, schizophrenics don't look sick but they are.
I handed over all that was required, and she made the odd quizzical noise while reading the info and making notes to send off to people who will make a final decision.
So fast forward to this week and I finally get the results back and low and behold they've found me perfectly fine to work so I had to drag myself to the job Center

Sort of know how you feel. I have a physical condition but it's not necessarily easily "seen". I have all my limbs and I don't use a wheelchair or any other physical aid. Unless someone looked at me closely while I was walking or running they wouldn't know.

I'm lucky in that I am able to work- but there are some jobs I can't do at all and other that I would never be able to do full time.

A few years ago I worked part time in a shop and got part disability pension. I could do the odd 30+ hour week as long as I had at least two days off after to rest and didn't do it every week or even every second or third.

Every couple of years I had to attend a review with the Government agency that provided my part pension. It always drove me nuts to fill in the paper work and try to explain that medical problem I was born with didn't just magically disappear and no - it will not get better if I just work 30 hours for the next six weeks to "build Up my strength" They would also question the odd weeks where I had worked lots of hours. Trying to explain to them that I did that but then had to spend my days off at home lying down, so that I could turn up to work the next week didn't seem to register.

Also had to face comments from them and others about why I didn't have a job I could do full time?

Do you know what? I'd freaking tried to get one of them. Thing was no one would employ me because I guess because I was fairly young at the time and I've always been open about my health with potential employers which I know in some case meant they didn't consider me.

So When I got a job I could do part time, I thought I'd accpet because it would mean the government had to pay me less money than not working at all.

The last couple of years I've been really lucky that I have a job I can do full time every week and no longer need assistance form the Government. However if I lost it, I may not be able to find something that I could do or full time and based on the fact that I have been able to work full time recently I'm not sure I would get Government assistance any more.

That's kind of a scary thought.

Quote: Sarc @ 15th April 2016, 1:05 PM BST

Oh this wasn't an NHS worker, the woman who asked if I was autistic was a desk jockey at the Job Center who I had to go see about sorting claims

You've got my deepest sympathy the system is just f**ked.

They design budgets the same way you slice a cake.

So after a while if you need to cut the budget or fail 20% of applicants whatever someone gets cut.

And there just isn't any sympathy, just hope you'll be one of the bunch to give up, f**k off and get JSA then become some other departments problem.

Book 40 people on an access to work course for 20 people. Then sanction anyone who can't find a seat.

Quote: lofthouse @ 9th April 2016, 6:51 PM BST

Aye

You lot voted for this bunch of c**ts - you deserve everything you get

That's exactly how I feel.

Quote: reds @ 15th April 2016, 1:15 PM BST

I have a physical condition but it's not necessarily easily "seen"........Every couple of years I had to attend a review with the Government agency that provided my part pension. It always drove me nuts to fill in the paper work and try to explain that medical problem I was born with ..........
.....That's kind of a scary thought.

Reds, Totally respect your approach here. Most people don't understand the enormous effort that goes into compensating for a disability. And if it's not immediately obvious, as in your case, why should they ?

Even though your world (Australia) is upside down to mine, your experience with government forces sounds the same. Let's be honest, it's never a benefit to point out a weakness to an employer. But our government is currently saying we should all be open about this and talk about it. Which is a bit like ISIS saying "Let all talk about who thinks their suicide belt itches. Hands up."

What use is a government if it won't protect the vulnerable, those let down by their family. We don't need them to protect the uber rich, they can sort themselves out. Don't need them to interfere with the NHS or Education, what do they know about running a hospital ? But they look after their own. Up the revolution ! I'm off to dig up Margaret Thatcher, I'm not convinced she's dead.

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 15th April 2016, 8:46 PM BST

Reds, Totally respect your approach here. Most people don't understand the enormous effort that goes into compensating for a disability. And if it's not immediately obvious, as in your case, why should they ?

Even though your world (Australia) is upside down to mine, your experience with government forces sounds the same. Let's be honest, it's never a benefit to point out a weakness to an employer. But our government is currently saying we should all be open about this and talk about it. Which is a bit like ISIS saying "Let all talk about who thinks their suicide belt itches. Hands up."

What use is a government if it won't protect the vulnerable, those let down by their family. We don't need them to protect the uber rich, they can sort themselves out. Don't need them to interfere with the NHS or Education, what do they know about running a hospital ? But they look after their own. Up the revolution ! I'm off to dig up Margaret Thatcher, I'm not convinced she's dead.

Let me know when you find the body so I can piss on it.

Aaaaaaaaaaand further to the incident I previously mentioned I saw the same woman again today. I handed over more reports that the health professionals, y'know the ones who I see regularly at least once or twice a week, were good enough to write up for me Friday and yesterday at short notice along with another letter and sick note from Mr Doctor person and she more or less threw them back at me telling me they were worthless as "the decision has been made by someone in the government and there's nothing to be done other than appeal which I can see you have done, that will take up to six months so you will have to keep coming in otherwise you won't get any money"
SIX FUCKING MONTHS????? They're just taking the piss.
She then asked how I was feeling so I asked how she thought I felt being dragged out when I'm struggling to which she replied "well you have to come and there's nothing you can do about it so deal with it". It was at this point that mild mannered Dr Banner gave way and let the Hulk come out to play. I....went......f**king ballistic to the point a security guard ran over and I let rip. The guard kept his distance so either I was going seriously postal and they were a bit scared or he'd over heard everything and agreed but either way I managed to vent until I was told by the woman there's no need to react like that which made me go up a level
How dare someone who has never met me deem me healthy or not, there's probably a 99% percent chance this person has never even been in the same town as me let alone the same bloody room, surely a person or persons who have been helping me once or twice a week would have better authority, the report that came back isn't even about me, it has my name on it but that's it, there are symptoms on their that aren't mine, it doesn't mention the blackout which is a huge f**king deal and what's more I was incredibly offended about the autism comment you made when you first met me, who the hell do you think you are making assumptions like that. Of course there's nothing wrong with autism but to just make an assumption the second you meet someone before they've even sat down is well out of order"
She interrupted "you're offended? My son is autistic so I know what it's like to deal with that so I'm offended that you took offence"
My turn again "well clearly you don't know what it's like otherwise you wouldn't have f**king asked me such a stupid question" at which point I promptly collapsed and came round five minutes later with the Center manager looking really sheepish and apologising for having to go through that.
Luckily my mother was with me today so I had some back up this time and to be fair she did try and calm me down but gave up once the stupid woman tried to answer back.
I'm now not having to deal with her, the manager has taken me on personally and has promised that while I'm challenging their outcome I won't have to set foot in those offices again, we can do everything via email or phone which is a bonus.
There are some decent peopl out there I find but unfortunately I usually end up having to deal with complete tools.

I realise I was probably out of order losing my rag like that and I did ask the manager to give my apologies to the woman but he laughed and said she probably,deserved it so not to worry about it. Still felt bad though, I'm usually really really easy going and take most things in my stride but when something rubs me the wrong way I erupt and it takes a lot to calm me down, today she was on the receiving end of it.

That was a truly awful experience for you. The bitch shouldn't be dealing with people as she obviously has neither objectivity nor any sympathetic feelings for other humans with problems. The good which has come out of it is that you've now made progress. Try not to feel guilty about blowing up - it shouldn't have taken that for you to get somebody to listen to you. She was the one at fault, not you. Nor should she have dragged her own personal problems into it - having one problem in your life doesn't give you the right to think you know it all about somebody else's different problems.

The whole system is so paranoid and persecutory it actively prevents people looking for work.

Training, work experience all not making yourself available for work.

You have my sympathy,

Thanks guys, someone suggested we contact our local MP about it but seeing as he's one of those bellends who voted for the cuts in health benefits it's not going to happen but it did give us the idea about contacting various other MPs who where against them to see what they'd say.

I wouldn't worry about the way he voted, that vote was pretty heavily whipped.

Aye that's true. Well I've done all I can for now so I'm just going to take it easy for the next few days until they make their next move.

Quote: Sarc @ 20th April 2016, 1:44 AM BST

Aaaaaaaaaaand..... She interrupted "you're offended? My son is autistic so I know what it's like to deal with that so I'm offended that you took offence"

Sarc that sound awful, no wonder you're wound up. She was offended that you were offended ? It's her autistic son I feel sorry for, having her as a mother surly is too much bad luck in one place ? If I was her son I'd pretend to be deaf ( so as not to offend her).

Quote: sootyj @ 20th April 2016, 12:24 PM BST

that vote was pretty heavily whipped.

Yeah I've heard politicians are into that.

I'm wondering if she thought that I was saying being autistic was offensive which I wasn't at all, it was her attitude and the way she was towards me but then again if she really does have an autistic son then surely she would be able to recognise the signs?

I'm calling shenanigans on that, I think she realised she'd crossed the line and was trying to retain some sort of control over a situation she knew she was losing in.

Automatic doors that don't open when you approach. Like they're making some sly comment about you.

On the plus side, nice to see the page count on TTPYO up to the great fire of London.