Things that piss you off Page 1,572

Thank you very much for that Lee - most interesting! Especially on the free postage and snappy description, although personally when I have bought I do find a more detailed listing helps me decide and not have to email with some query regarding condition etc.

Being a business member/trader though might bring you more to the attention of the Inland Revenue(?) as I understand that at present(!?) they are not interested in someone who is selling off their personal collection that they may have amassed over the years, which applies to me, and I have a lot of it!!
And is it right that eBay have to inform the Inland Revenue when they have a new trader listed?

And yes, you are always going to get some bastard trying it on. I remember many years ago a friend of mine sold a Dinky car to somebody in, of all places, Argentina, and this guy was highly respected in the Dinky world. Anyway, he claimed to my friend that he never received it, but a year later the Argentinian (foolishly!!) listed it on his website - needless to say there was much debate about it. Effin idiot.

I thought eBid would not be so good, but from what you have said it sounds like an absolute no-no, and as you say, how on earth do people get on with that site?
I think I will start another thread to see if other people on this site have had bad experience as you did.

Thanks once again! :)

Quote: Lee @ 23rd January 2015, 7:51 AM GMT

If you're a business member, you pay less for everything,/.../ you can use their promotions to your advantage, things such as free listings

I never get to hear about business members' free listings days, I must have a setting unticked somewhere. Is there a way of getting notification by other means?

I received newsletters about it frequently, Nog. I don't remember any specific setting, I just occasionally read their "spam".

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 23rd January 2015, 8:36 AM GMT

Thank you very much for that Lee - most interesting! Especially on the free postage and snappy description, although personally when I have bought I do find a more detailed listing helps me decide and not have to email with some query regarding condition etc.

Being a business member/trader though might bring you more to the attention of the Inland Revenue(?) as I understand that at present(!?) they are not interested in someone who is selling off their personal collection that they may have amassed over the years, which applies to me, and I have a lot of it!!
And is it right that eBay have to inform the Inland Revenue when they have a new trader listed?

And yes, you are always going to get some bastard trying it on. I remember many years ago a friend of mine sold a Dinky car to somebody in, of all places, Argentina, and this guy was highly respected in the Dinky world. Anyway, he claimed to my friend that he never received it, but a year later the Argentinian (foolishly!!) listed it on his website - needless to say there was much debate about it. Effin idiot.

I thought eBid would not be so good, but from what you have said it sounds like an absolute no-no, and as you say, how on earth do people get on with that site?
I think I will start another thread to see if other people on this site have had bad experience as you did.

Thanks once again! :)

Standard or business account, if you trade regularly and make an income off it, I believe you have to tax it. I'm sure you can get away with it by selling the contents of your house but as soon as you start buying things to sell, that's when you have to declare it.

But I'd have a chat with a more reliable source!

Quote: Lee @ 23rd January 2015, 9:48 AM GMT

but as soon as you start buying things to sell, that's when you have to declare it.

I think you have nailed it right there.

If you are selling things that you have amassed over the years, there is no way you can declare any "profit" on what you may have bought it for (if at all).

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 23rd January 2015, 11:01 AM GMT

I think you have nailed it right there.

If you are selling things that you have amassed over the years, there is no way you can declare any "profit" on what you may have bought it for (if at all).

MMMMM,, that's called Capital Gains tax and there are complicated formulae relating to how long ago it was bought and to the difference between buying price and selling price.

https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax/capital-gains-tax

But it doesn't usually effect 'ordinary' people because there is a massive tax free figure that you have to exceed before paying any tax. I think it is currently £10,000.

The last time you paid Capital Gains tax was when you helped sack Constantinople in the 17th century Bill Will.

Quote: billwill @ 23rd January 2015, 12:26 PM GMT

MMMMM,, that's called Capital Gains tax and there are complicated formulae relating to how long ago it was bought and to the difference between buying price and selling price.

https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax/capital-gains-tax

But it doesn't usually effect 'ordinary' people because there is a massive tax free figure that you have to exceed before paying any tax. I think it is currently £10,000.

But what if it was so long ago you "can't remember" ;) what you paid for it OR paid more than what you sold it for.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 23rd January 2015, 3:37 PM GMT

But what if it was so long ago you "can't remember" ;) what you paid for it OR paid more than what you sold it for.

Don't ask me ask the Tax Inspector!

;)

Quote: billwill @ 23rd January 2015, 6:23 PM GMT

Don't ask me ask the Tax Inspector!

;)

Phew! At first glance I thought you said you were one. >_<

I'll have you know that I have just spent 3 pesky days bringing my accounts up to date so that I could do my tax return before the end of the month. This year my 'self-employed' business made a loss and I was dead peeved to discover that they don't give you a tax rebate for that.

I even went back over the on-line HMRC form and made it a temporary profit and sure enough they wanted to tax that, but when I put the correct LOSS back, pah, no rebate. It seems they don't allow losses in self employed businesses, they only let you carry it forward (or backward) to off set against profits. I think I made a mistake and should have 'carried' it back.

Heh ho, net result I owed £1.20 tax, but since they owed me 50p from last year I ended up making a bank transfer to HMRC of 70p to avois a £100 fine.

Gave up self employment 5 years ago thank God as some two years previous to that I was "chosen" to be one of those to have a full blown tax examination resulting in a £6,000 bill. Bastards!

people that don't listen and even worse talk all over you omg!

Losing a memory stick from 2 computers and about 8 years ago.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 23rd January 2015, 6:38 PM GMT

Gave up self employment 5 years ago thank God as some two years previous to that I was "chosen" to be one of those to have a full blown tax examination resulting in a £6,000 bill. Bastards!

You are Starbucks and I claim my £5.

The winter sun!

Not a cloud in the sky here in EA and with the sun not getting high in the sky its a nightmare driving, especially when you drive into a side turning and it catches you out with nil visibility. :(