Things that piss you off Page 1,571

From the latest BAFTA/Rocliffe New Writing Forum call for entries...

"The ten pages extract must be either a television screenplay or an episode from an original series on any subject, but must reflect the diversity in society."

What does that even mean?

Quote: Lazzard @ 22nd January 2015, 4:04 PM GMT

From the latest BAFTA/Rocliffe New Writing Forum call for entries...

"The ten pages extract must be either a television screenplay or an episode from an original series on any subject, but must reflect the diversity in society."

What does that even mean?

A gay character
A Muslim character
A Christian character
An atheist character
A handicapped character
A tall character
A short character
A fat character
A skinny character
Etc.

Christ!
That one-man show is going to be hard to pull off.

I've actually e-mailed them to elucidate.
I'll post their response....

Quote: Lazzard @ 22nd January 2015, 4:19 PM GMT

Christ!
That one-man show is going to be hard to pull off.

Laughing out loud

A gender-dubious actor who is part white, part black and part Asian can probably name his price these days. Bonus points if he/she is in a wheelchair.

eBay. I sold 2 items, 1 at £160 and the other at £20 and they want £18 fee, plus Paypal want £6. That's £24 plus I might have to pay more postage at the post office because they restrict the amount of postage cost you can put into the listing.

Angry

Ebay is a prick.

(What did you sell for £160?)

Quote: Lee @ 22nd January 2015, 5:25 PM GMT

eBay. I sold 2 items, 1 at £160 and the other at £20 and they want £18 fee, plus Paypal want £6. That's £24 plus I might have to pay more postage at the post office because they restrict the amount of postage cost you can put into the listing.

Angry

I am looking to trade on Ebay soon when I retire (have been hoarding for years!) - how can they/do they limit the postage, which seems a bit OTT.

Have you tried Ebid? I understand their charges are far less, but of course they do not have the clout in that market like Ebay has. Has anyone tried it - is it any good?

People on here with really long signatures..

:[

Quote: zooo @ 22nd January 2015, 6:33 PM GMT

Ebay is a prick.

(What did you sell for £160?)

An Oculus Rift.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd January 2015, 6:54 PM GMT

I am looking to trade on Ebay soon when I retire (have been hoarding for years!) - how can they/do they limit the postage, which seems a bit OTT.

Have you tried Ebid? I understand their charges are far less, but of course they do not have the clout in that market like Ebay has. Has anyone tried it - is it any good?

I'll answer you in a bit. :)

Quote: Lee @ 22nd January 2015, 7:40 PM GMT

An Oculus Rift.

I expect that's something from Harry Potter...

:D

Quote: lofthouse @ 22nd January 2015, 7:04 PM GMT

People on here with really long signatures..

:[

Swivel.

Quote: Lee @ 22nd January 2015, 5:25 PM GMT

Angry

10% it's a bitch. And 10% of the postage too!

eBay limit the postage because sellers were cheating; selling cheap but with very high 'postage' added on.

Pirate

Quote: billwill @ 22nd January 2015, 10:26 PM GMT

eBay limit the postage because sellers were cheating; selling cheap but with very high 'postage' added on.

Pirate

Well, you are a fool (not you personally Bill!) if you pay those over inflated postage costs. Usually there's someone who is selling the same thing or even cheaper on Amazon - I have lost count of the number of times I have been outbid and find it cheaper on there afterwards. Bloody idiots who think that eBay is the be all and end all.

I used to be an eBay trader. I tried ebid and never sold one thing at all, never got any views on my listings either. I don't understand how anyone uses that website.

If you want to sell, eBay is the quickest way.

If you're a business member, you pay less for everything, this is why I was shocked to see my "standard user" fees.

If you're smart, you can use their promotions to your advantage, things such as free listings, etc.

Free postage goes along way to making sure your product sells lots and fast! Although you have to weigh up whether it's financial viable for you.

I also found that when I wrote a long and detailed listing, I'd get less sales than when I'd write 1 sentence such as "Product X for sale, excellent condition". I figured it looked more real, rather than spam like.

You will get awkward customers, but this happens everywhere. I constantly got people trying it on. I once had a signature from someone but the dispute went on for about 2 to 3 months because eBay decision makers couldn't read the signature.

Overall eBay are okay, they're just a bit greedy. Watch out for PayPal, one of those awkward customers could trip you up and they lock you out of all your hard earned money and can reck your business if you keep all your budget/funds in there (withdraw, withdraw, withdraw) ... (after 21 days) :/ :/ :/