The Young Ones

I got into a discussion about this series with someone today and wondered what other people think of the show now. I know that it was very influential in its day but I just feel that the passing of time hasn't been kind to it. I certainly wouldn't say that it's awful or anything like that but I do think that it's an awful lot less funny now than it was when I first saw it in the 80s.

I agree - i loved it back then but it is less funny now. They have been influential with the Slagg Brothers, and we are fans, but i guess it's OK to admit there are faults with something you love, without its value being utterly destroyed.

I agree also. It's one of those shows which was very much of its time. New and exciting and different then, but misses the mark now.

I wouldn't agree with that. I recently bought the second series on DVD and think that much of it still holds up today. Excellent performances from the four leads and it remains more inventive and fresh than much of what currently passes for comedy on the BBC. It has dated to a certain extent (inevitable really as it was very much a product of Thatcher's Britain) but then time has not been kind to most sitcoms.

It's not so much that it doesn't "hold up" today, but it works on a different level now. The shows to which it was rebelling (Terry & June, Man About The House, The Good Life etc.) aren't really shown much anymore, so that underlying "THIS IS NEW AND RAAAAAAARRRRRRR!!!" message to the programme doesn't really come across in the same way (well, certainly not to a younger audience; I'm sure many still remember those shows). Not to mention the contrasts in social and political climates over the past 20-odd years.

And of course as you say, very much a product of early Thatcherite Britain.

As I said, I watched the second series recently. I hadn't seen The Young Ones for a few years and thought that time might not have been kind to it, but I was surprised that much of it was still fresh and v. funny.

Quote: SlagA @ October 12, 2006, 2:12 PM

I agree - i loved it back then but it is less funny now. They have been influential with the Slagg Brothers, and we are fans, but i guess it's OK to admit there are faults with something you love, without its value being utterly destroyed.

I'd have to disagree with SlagA about faults with something you love.

I love my wife but since we got married she'd put on shit loads of weight and her tits are like slaters nail bags and when I told her she was utterly destroyed.

P.S. The Young Ones Rocked!

Quote: Aaron @ October 12, 2006, 3:52 PM

Not to mention the contrasts in social and political climates over the past 20-odd years.

Let's see...Back then we had a tyrannical PM who was determined to dismantle our democracy, a leader who was in the pocket of the US and who made a string of bad decisions that put this country back by a good 20/30 years. Completely unlike Britain in 2006. Errr

I didn't say there were NO similarities. ;)

Quote: SlagA @ October 12, 2006, 2:12 PM

I don't think it's a 'fault' not to be timeless. When it was made, boxed sets of tv series (or 'seasons' as we apparently have to call them now) and cable channels of repeats were unheard of, so there was no reason to think it would be shown again to any great extent.

It was very funny then, but I've seen a few episodes over the past few years and think it stands-up well.

Filthy Rich and Catflap is funnier but the young ones is still ace.

I watched it recently, and after the quality stuff I´ve seen before, it was just hysterical and not funny. I was only able to watch two episodes and sold it directly afterwards to someone on ebay. nope, not my style.

Filthy Rich and Catflap, I agree is far better. If only because they dropped awful Mike.

:D

When I originally watched the Young Ones I was about 11 years old. In the mid 90's I bought the videos and lent them to my niece (who was about 10 at the time). She loved them, even though the politics were lost on her a bit.

It goes to show that part of the Young Ones will always be accessible because of the slapstick and violence. That sort of stuff doesn't date. Its lots of crazy students beating each up other, being sick, taking drugs, etc.

There's no doubt it was groundbreaking at the time, and a lot of it has dated. Some of the bands were terrible and I never found Alexei Sayle that funny either, but it still brings a smile to my face nonetheless.

me and my friend have quite recently got really into young ones and old(ish) comedies like AbFab, Vicar of dibley(ok not that old) etc. (go french and saunders) and think its great! ok so maybe some of the thatcher esk jokes dont quite fit for nowdays but we get the idea and laugh! (and lets face it, it hasn't changed that much!) :D although alexei sayle (or however you spell) it is just not funny in my opinion although i know he was quite popular in 80's--well he had is own show!)
i think it rocks!
viva el young ones!
:D :D