The Stephen K Amos Show - Series 1

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a189625/stephen-k-amos-for-new-bbc-comedy.html

Dan

Yay! I think SKA is ace - excpet when he's banging on about being black and gay obviously.

This really is a win-win for BBC2 - they get to double tick some affirmative action boxes and we as the viewers don't lose out because Amos is actually funny.

He's been around for donkey's years, so it's about time he got some recognition and a proper spotlight to showcase his talents.

Looking forward to this.

I Likes him.

They must have piloted this, as I remember reading about it a few months ago. It sounds quite promising though. I've enjoyed The Omid Djalili Show, which this sounds very similar to in its variety style.

I remember Stephen joking on Live at the Apollo: "I love performing in front of all you wonderful people. But really, this isn't all that. What I really want is my own show. But the BBC have very strict guidlines about ethnicity. Apparently I've got to wait for Lenny Henry to die" Laughing out loud

Nice to see he's got his own show anyway. I've always liked his stand-up, even if he does think that all white people are closet KKK members.

Quote: Joey Moose @ December 2 2009, 7:46 PM GMT

Nice to see he's got his own show anyway. I've always liked his stand-up, even if he does think that all white people are closet KKK members.

Oh right, playing the race card, is he? Typical! Angry

*lights cross and runs away* Whistling nnocently

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 2 2009, 5:50 PM GMT

Yay! I think SKA is ace - excpet when he's banging on about being black and gay obviously.

Laughing out loud

I'm not the only one!

Quote: Leevil @ November 11 2007, 7:12 PM GMT

Amos I used to like, but I'm sick of hearing his opinions in a none stand-up setting. You're black and gay, we get it!

Nah, he's cool. I like him. :)

Quote: Joey Moose @ December 2 2009, 7:46 PM GMT

I remember Stephen joking on Live at the Apollo: "I love performing in front of all you wonderful people. But really, this isn't all that. What I really want is my own show. But the BBC have very strict guidlines about ethnicity. Apparently I've got to wait for Lenny Henry to die" Laughing out loud

I'm sure I remember (the far superior British black comedian, imo) Felix Dexter make an almost identical gag in his set when I went to see him perform about 16 years ago. Whistling nnocently

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 2 2009, 8:03 PM GMT

I'm sure I remember (the far superior British black comedian, imo) Felix Dexter make an almost identical gag in his set when I went to see him perform about 16 years ago. Whistling nnocently

Hmmm, interesting.

Quote: Joey Moose @ December 2 2009, 11:20 PM GMT

Hmmm, interesting.

I may, of course, be misremembering and therefore wrong. It has been known to happen. :D

So this finally starts on Friday...

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/stephen_k_amos_show/

What are our expectations? Exactly how good/bad will this be? Or are we going to be boring and reserve judgement until we've actually seen at least the first 5 minutes of Episode 1?

This video clip, whilst not necessary being representative of the show (but never mind that, I've got a point to make), seems rather reminiscent of the sort of stuff Lenny Henry was putting out in the late 80s/early 90s. Or is it just me?

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/stephen_k_amos_show/videos/

I'm looking forward to it perhaps breaking some new ground, rather than just recycling clichéd black characters. Then again, maybe I'm just a being subconsciously racist for demanding a non-white comedian be original, when the same is never particularly expected of (predominantly) white sketch shows? Would perhaps be nice to have a gay, black man fronting his own show, without the words "black" or "gay" informing all the material contained therein? Not avoiding the issues, necessarily, just not becoming the whole focus of the stand-up/sketches.

I expect to get less than 2 minutes in before we get the usual <insert African country> parents crap.

Which is a shame.

Re-reading my post above, maybe I should just get in first and shout "Racist!" at myself? I hope I'm not, but then again I am Jewish, and you know what we're like...

Although I understand the format has been jiggled around a little from the pilot, if that was anything to go by then I'm afraid hopes of a shift away from the kind of material mentioned above aren't going to be realised. I predict there'll be a lot of people rolling their eyes and moaning about same-old middle-of-the-road comedy on TV, plus Alfred J Kipper blathering on about the BBC only making programmes for blacks and/or gays.

Generally, I think it's going to end up being very much along the lines of The Omid Djalili Show.

Quote: Nil Putters @ October 28 2010, 12:09 AM BST

I expect to get less than 2 minutes in before we get the usual <insert African country> parents crap.

And yes, that's about right.

Quote: Aaron @ October 28 2010, 9:25 AM BST

Generally, I think it's going to end up being very much along the lines of The Omid Djalili Show.

God help us all...