Bless Me, Father

I'm thinking of getting the complete collection of this on DVD. I've heard good things about it and anything with the late great Arthur Lowe in is worth watching. But I've never seen it, is it as good as it sounds?

Glad to see there is another Arthur Lowe fan on the forum. For me, he will rank as Britain's finest comedy actor and is well up there with Barker, Rossiter and Jason.
Being a big fan of Lowe, I did watch a Christmas special of Bless me Father. It was good. Not brilliant, but certainly watchable and thinking of getting the complete box-set myself. If you like Lowe and want to see him in something else other than his immense performance in Dad's Army, I would recommend you get it rather than Pardon the Expression, which I was a little dissapointed with.

Quote: Jack Massey @ November 29 2009, 1:19 PM GMT

Glad to see there is another Arthur Lowe fan on the forum. For me, he will rank as Britain's finest comedy actor and is well up there with Barker, Rossiter and Jason.
Being a big fan of Lowe, I did watch a Christmas special of Bless me Father. It was good. Not brilliant, but certainly watchable and thinking of getting the complete box-set myself. If you like Lowe and want to see him in something else other than his immense performance in Dad's Army, I would recommend you get it rather than Pardon the Expression, which I was a little dissapointed with.

He certainly is one of the finest comedy actors of all time.

I think I'll get the Bless Me, Father box-set as it only about £12 so well worth the money.

I have not seen Pardon the Expression but have read about it. Would you recommend Potter although it is not out on DVD as far as I aware.

Seen one episode, it seemed quite funny, so if I had the chance, I would watch more.

Potter is good, but disappointing compared to its potential. What I've seen of Pardon The Expression I rather enjoyed - and Bless Me, Father really is terribly good, IMO.

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3342711/Bless_Me_Father_Complete_Series/Product.html]
[h=678237]

https://www.comedy.co.uk/shop/?search=Pardon+The+Expression

Quote: Aaron @ November 29 2009, 2:51 PM GMT

Potter is good, but disappointing compared to its potential. What I've seen of Pardon The Expression I rather enjoyed - and Bless Me, Father really is terribly good, IMO.

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3342711/Bless_Me_Father_Complete_Series/Product.html]
[h=678237]

I have ordered my copy and am looking forward to watching it myself. It will go well with my Arthur Lowe biography I am getting for Christmas.

Quote: James Cotter @ November 29 2009, 2:53 PM GMT

I have ordered my copy and am looking forward to watching it myself. It will go well with my Arthur Lowe biography I am getting for Christmas.

I watched some of the first series of 'Bless Me, Father' recently. The quality of the show seems very good. It seems to me quite dialogue-heavy, though. Because it seems very good I felt like I should have been enjoying it more than I did. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood at the time - I'd like to get on and watch the rest of the first series. I think one of the differences between Bless Me, Father and Dad's Army, for me, is that the laughs in Dad's Army are from go to wo. I found with Bless Me, Father they are more scattered here and there with a bit of waiting time and there's quite a lot of dialogue that gradually tells a story. But if I see more I might change my mind. It was interesting to see Peter Bowles in one episode. I think - be prepared to watch a good quality show but don't expect to be falling off your seat every moment. Just expect each episode to tell a story in a round about sort of way at times, with the odd chuckle sprinkled here and there between more slow moving patches in between. I personally don't think sitcoms that are set in the past (without GOOD reason) work so well - e.g. Oh Dr Beeching! and High & Dry. I keep asking myself WHY are we back in the 50s or 60s? With Hi-De-Hi! and Dad's Army the WHY is justifiable. With Bless Me, Father we're back in the 50s. Why? I can't think of a good reason.

IIRC, it was based on an earlier series of books about the author's own experiences in the church. Which would be why it's set in the 1950s.

I might order this online soon, but I've been unable to buy anything on play.com lately due to new security red tape about debit cards.

Watched a few episode now. Almost finished series one. I've really taken to it actually, not hilariously funny but enough comedy to keep you watching. Arthur Lowe pulls off a fine performance and I love his sparring with his housekeeper.

What's the rest of the series like James. I've just myself ordered the DVD of the complete series and looking forward to it.

It's very enjoyable. Brilliant performances all-round, particularly from Lowe, as one would expect.

I enjoyed it! Arthur Lowe played a great part in this series and played a great character as Duddleswell. Also loved Mrs Ping, thought it was strange the way Lowe's character treated her as a priest, he didn't seem to like her at all and didn't appreciate her. Father Boyd was a great character! Overall a nice series, with good episodes and good characters! My favourite episode has to be the christmas one where Duddlewell seems more charitable and the other characters try to take advantage of his Christmas nature!