The Impressions Show With Culshaw And Stephenson - Series 1

I'm looking forward to this. It starts next Saturday on BBC One. https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/impressions_show/

The targets appear to be quite obvious (Madonna etc), but in the absence of the return of Dead Ringers I'll happily take this as a substitute. The make-up people certainly deserve some awards...

Stephenson is very much the lesser known of the two, I fear. I had to check who she was on wiki, and one of her credits was that she was in an episode of Chucklevison. Not very auspicious.

Lesser known? About the same I would have thought. She was famous long before Culshaw as an impressionist, has appeared in various TV sketch shows and had a staring role in both Bad Girls and Corrie.

Catchy title.

Quote: YesNo @ October 24 2009, 6:12 PM BST

Catchy title.

Laughing out loud

I can't stand impressionists. :(

They usually have a juggler's sense of comedy.

*takes off beret and mac and puts down burning clubs*

I don't mind Impressionist shows.
Some of Alistair McGowan & Rory Bremners stuff was excellent.
John Culshaw is great as well, but he has quite a distinctive gruff voice.
His Tom Baker is fantastic, but his Noel Edmonds leaves a lot to be desired

Why put on a beard & all that make up just to sound nothing like them.
Back when I was young all you needed was glasses & a bow tie in order to sound nothing like someone.

Is it me or do Jon Culshaw's impressions all sound the same on the advert?

Quote: jim howells @ October 24 2009, 11:47 PM BST

Is it me or do Jon Culshaw's impressions all sound the same on the advert?

Possibly.
But his Parkinson is excellent, and he does a few other very well.

His Dale Winton and Ricky Gervais got me laughing when I first saw them

I've never particularly understood why someone adopting someone else's voices and mannerisms is considered inherently funny. Is there a psychologist, psychiatrist, sociologist or anthropologist in the house to explain this phenomenon?

*waits expectantly*

John Culshaw can't even do John Culshaw. He sounds like Mike Yarwood with throat cancer.

Quote: YesNo @ October 25 2009, 1:49 AM BST

He sounds like Mike Yarwood with throat cancer.

Sadly, Mike Yarwood getting throat cancer would probably be the only way he'd get back in the limelight now. Then again, he'd definitely beat Roy Castle (trumpet player gets lung cancer) in the 'Ironic Cancers Top Ten' list. :(

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 25 2009, 1:26 AM BST

I've never particularly understood why someone adopting someone else's voices and mannerisms is considered inherently funny. Is there a psychologist, psychiatrist, sociologist or anthropologist in the house to explain this phenomenon?

*waits expectantly*

You'll be waiting a while for them psychologists, psychiatrists, sociologists and anthropologists to show up.

Perhaps people find it inherently amusing/pleasing to see authority figures (or in this day and age - celebrities) being sent up. This will especially be the case in countries where repressive regimes/dictators have been overthrown (and previous attempts to take the piss out of a politician could result in imprisonment). Impressionists are funny because they mock celebrities (gently, affectionately or otherwise). Their talent enables us to imagine we're listening to celebrities saying things they wouldn't normally say. The sheer skill of some impressionists is entertainment enough - and well written jokes just make their impressions more entertaining.

And John Culshaw is great. Better than Rory Bremner. I wish I could do good impressions, mostly Sid James's laugh.