It's Only A Theory

This starts in a moment, on BBC Four. Andy Hamilton, Reginald D Hunter and guest quiz experts on theories of life, the universe and everything. Has to be good doesn't it?

That's quite a beard.

:D Is this guy mental or wot?

'I say, I say, I say - a black fella, a lesbian and a dwarf walk into the BBC...and get to host a show.'

Oh BBC Four, I do love you but you're not much cop when it comes to comedy. It's Only A Theory felt old and tired before it even began. As formats go, it's pretty weak and the set looked dirt cheap.

If it wasn't for Reginald D Hunter, I would have switched over long ago. His rant on Bridget Jones was class but that was the only highlight of the show.

This also reminded me of that Dave Gorman 'vehicle' where people showed off their inventions.

It's time to use that dreaded word again - meh.

It did look like it was a set from the 70s. I only lasted 5 minutes and faded out.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 6 2009, 10:39 PM BST

This also reminded me of that Dave Gorman 'vehicle' where people showed off their inventions.

Yeah, me too. It wasn't great but it did make me laugh in a few places, as you say, mainly down to Reginald. I might give it another go next week, we'll see.

Just reading the desciption made me think of "Genius" (the Dave Gorman show that was on earlier this year), although it was a little more highbrow and BBC 4 ish.

I quite enjoyed it, and found it interesting, and occasionally thought-provoking (such as what are all the implications if the first chap is right and my generation do all start living to 1000), but pretty much devoid of humour, other than the odd-light hearted comment and the Colin Firth bit from Reg D. Hunter.

I wouldn't recommend it to someone on the basis of belly laughs. I would, however, recommend it as an enjoyable enough watch.

Also, I don't pretend to be an expert in people's relationships with one another, but I put forward the theory that Miss Balding and Mr Hunter aren't bosom friends...

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 6 2009, 10:39 PM BST

Oh BBC Four, I do love you but you're not much cop when it comes to comedy. It's Only A Theory felt old and tired before it even began.

It's true, they took a concept so well-worn that it's arse showed through, [insert gag here as to who that was] and tried to wear it once again. There was no reason for this to even be on TV unless you fancy Reg, and it would have worked just as well (or maybe better) on radio.

But I liked it anyway, because the people doing it were good. I laughed, thus it gains my approval.

Further to the item in that show:

"..../subjects who were more easily startled tended to have political views that would be classified as more right wing, being more in favour of capital punishment and higher defence spending, but opposed to abortion rights. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7623256.stm

I thought the beardy guy was brilliant! I hope he gets his own show. It was still funny but after he left I lost interest and turned over.

Reginald's line about wanting to sit in his lap and have him tell him stories was brilliant! :)

Watched this. Enjoyed it. Will watch again.

Nice to see Hunter get a regular gig.

That Aubrey guy used to live next door but one to me many years ago. He used to hold some great parties, a real laugh and it was obvious he would become a mad professor despite being beardless in those days.

I enjoyed it. It was remiscent of Genius, but it bumbled along aimiably enough, and it's always good to see Andy Hamilton.

I watched it last night, and quite enjoyed it. It had some very good moments, and the theories presented were quite interesting, too. I'll be watching it again! Still, it must be said, Andy's not exactly a natural host. Not that that matters much. Pleased

This format might have worked better if they had had the courage of their convictions, as it is the execution comes across as generic and derivative. The theorists are fine, articulate, amusing and interesting. The problem comes with the panel; Andy Hamilton is okay, if a little stilted as host, but this is the wrong vehicle for Reginald D. Hunter. He is presumably intended to fill the Alan Davies' everyman role, and is similarly redundant. It is not that he isn't funny (so he has that edge on Davies), it is that the laughs come when he riffs off on a tangent, rather than engages with the theories. The token women have just been a bit meh. What is needed are panellists who are not appeared to appear intelligent and who will take on the theorists (who are capable of fighting their corner) on their own ground. Someone like David Mitchell, or, God help me, Clive Andersen, would work much better. The result might not necessarily get big laughs, but it would be much more engaging.